• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who Gets the Best Jobs?"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    No. It's a serious look at what barriers, real or percieved, are getting int the way of social mobility. It presents various points of view, and various ways in which it seems that the professions are becoming less and less accessible to people from backgrounds other than middle or upper class. I certainly found it thought provoking.
    Yes, but I found it poorly argued and ultimately not very convincing.

I was very disappointed that the journo stuck to his prejudices, despite disproving his own case by showing the footage of those comprehensive kids getting work experience in top banks.

He frequently used phrases along the lines of the 'dis-advantaged' (non-public school educated) versus the rich (public school educated) kids with all their unfair advantages.

I was amused that he rejected the 'gene pool' argument because he found it repugnant, without considering that it might be true: intelligent middle class folks choose similar as their partners, and hey presto, their offspring are of good intelligence and get better jobs.

And of course the less well off are not in the know about good jobs, not because they can't be bothered to find out, but because no one gives them the help they need.

Summary: worth watching, gives a good understanding of the entrenched views that well-off well-educated people are unfairly advantaged.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Yes, Alan Milburn, and he expressed concern that what he had done was becoming more and more difficult for people from his background.
    Which is ironic since Labour closed the grammar schools, probably the biggest enabler of social mobility there was.

The second biggest enabler was free tuition fees for university for the best A-level candidates, another enabler that has been removed, by the Tories this time.

I'm far from being a lefty, quite the opposite, but as a one-nation Tory, I would be for grammar schools and free tuition fees for candidates with very good A-level results.
    That way you work hard but if you do you have an exit route from poverty.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Yes, Alan Milburn, and he expressed concern that what he had done was becoming more and more difficult for people from his background.
    Someone that does not gain capital on his view point?

I just watched the passage where they pretty much said nobody from a poor background will not get into medical school.

The GF went to the school this was filmed in...

But then you regale us with your tales of stealing cars on Bolivars and Boli yet turn out a test manager. Social mobility it seems.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Did at any point they ask someone who came from a piss poor background who said "you know, I came from filth but I studied, got my education went on to greater things" prove this myth that there is no social mobilty?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Did at any point they ask someone who came from a piss poor background who said "you know, I came from filth but I studied, got my education went on to greater things" prove this myth that there is no social mobilty?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Waching it again as I missed the first ten minutes.

"Oh Lawyers, CEOs and Doctors earn tulip loads"

Then they go and interview 10 people in the fashion industry.

Straight to the heart of the matter there.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    He also doesn't have any 1960's DVD's to watch.
    Didn't know they had DVDs in the 60's

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Did someone help you with that quip? It was above your usual feckless and uninteresting standards.
    Wasn't a quip.
    HTH.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Or it could be because you have provided ample evidence of not be being the sharpest tool in the box.
    Did someone help you with that quip? It was above your usual feckless and uninteresting standards.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    No. It's a serious look at what barriers, real or percieved, are getting int the way of social mobility. It presents various points of view, and various ways in which it seems that the professions are becoming less and less accessible to people from backgrounds other than middle or upper class. I certainly found it thought provoking.
    It is the inverted snobbery that has become rampant in this country over the last few years manifesting itself. I know about 20 people that have been through a medical degree and I would say about 4 of those are from 'privileged backgrounds'. 2 of them are from the most deprived area in western Europe if you believe the stats.

People fail in this country because they are expected not to succeed. Did you see the family that just decided that university was not for their child when he was about 7 or 8?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I assume this low grade taunt is because you were tired and covered in alchy vomit.
    Or it could be because you have provided ample evidence of not be being the sharpest tool in the box.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Su

I'm sorry but you are clearly a mental midget moron who sobs over failed jobs.
    I assume this low grade taunt is because you were tired and covered in alchy vomit.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Might watch it if it's on iPlayer - or is it just a bunch of daily mail readers blaming society for their life decisions?
    Pretty much I would have said.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied

In that case I can give it a whirl!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Might watch it if it's on iPlayer - or is it just a bunch of daily mail readers blaming society for their life decisions?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X