• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agent submitted my CV without permission..."

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Don't worry, you'll fail the spelling test at interview

I wsih I caered enguoh...

God I'm bored.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Perhaps not a big deal overhaul.
    I'm at with the rouge agent.
    Abuse it and loose me forever and ever...
    Don't worry, you'll fail the spelling test at interview

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    So I had an interview today... through the alternative agent

...by the end I had them singing.

"Consider yourself at home.
    Consider youself one of the family
    We've taken to you so strong
    It's clear we're going to get along
    Consider yourself well in
    Consider yourself part of the furniture
    There isn't a lot to spare
    Who cares?..What ever we've goin we share!"

Don't you just love it when interviews just go your way?

Consider yourself

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    One of the reasons why I am tempted to send out my CV as a read only PDF, you have no control over a shed load of personal information once agents get it.

Hudson sent my CV out to a company once without my permission, someone recognised my name from school, phoned up my Mum's house, got my number and hired me direct. Thanks Hudson.

One agent went further in his stupidity, arranged an interview without my permission then never told me about it, he phones me up "you never went to the interview" "what interview?" Iain Marr of Edinburgh that award of stupidity goes to you (ironically he now works for Hudson).

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Factoring?

It happens all the time.

If you ever want to go direct and need someone to factor your invoices then I know just the man.
    Yes, yes - you'll get your 10%.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Normally I would not but I did.

I told them thanks but not thanks. They were not pleased and voices on the other end of the phone raised in volume and then some.

If i were needly I think I would have crumbled.

Agents hear this raw, consultants are people not commodities who are in limited supply. Abuse it and loose me forever and ever... (I have a black book and I know where you ******* live!)

Best regards,

Scooter "the Blade" Scot!
    ftfy. Just to give it a certain "Je ne sais quoi"...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Normally I would not but I did.

I told them thanks but not thanks. They were not pleased and voices on the other end of the phone raised in volume and then some.

If i were needly I think I would have crumbled.

Agents hear this raw, consultants are people not commodities who are in limited supply. Abuse it and loose me forever and ever... (I have a black book)

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    You have not seen the TV seriec "Archer"?
    Nope, no idea what that even is

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I thought 'rouge agent' was some special term I'd not heard before, felt quite out of the loop there
    You have not seen the TV series "Archer"?
    Last edited by ThomasSoerensen; 26 January 2011, 08:51.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    They borrow money to finance their paystream
    Factoring?

It happens all the time.

If you ever want to go direct and need someone to factor your invoices then I know just the man.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
    this has been an age old problem and even after 18 years in the business, when there is conflict due to usually one muppet agent sending it out without your permission things can get very agressive from the agents side particularly if the end client complains, of course in this scenario the agent who is in the wrong always tries to blames you when the angry end client enquires.

Best thing to do is send out an e-mail to the agent who you think has the best chance of getting you the best rate/role (selecting him as your exclusive representative) as you may want him to continue looking for you in the immeditate future (agencies forget about CV clashes with other agencies in about 3-4 months).

When I first mail my CV to any agent I always state "please inform me where you are sending my CV", problem is agents who pluck the CV off jobserve and pass it to colleagues, by that time any additional notes you have put on jobserve etc would have been lost as they've played parce the parcel with your CV.

I digress a little but note this I know all the tricks of agents inside out, the one that they use in the City based type contracts is "Hello, <my name> I'm going to meet 'a client' on Friday and take some CVs to show him, do you mind if I include your CV in the pile ...?" (this is an industry convention) .... if you hear these words do not allow them to do this unless of course you get it in writing in an e-mail stating "who" the end client is and "which department" the CV is going to be shown to, otherwise the agent will use it as a 'green light' to blast your CV whereever he/she likes.

In summary its funny regarding what little control you have of your CV given that there are all these privacy laws and data protection laws which are meant to be there to let you know what other people have done with your private/personal data - you just go try and get a complete and truthful answer from an agent regarding where he sent your CV out to - I bet only 20% of agents are completely honest for this.
    In reality though, publishing your CV online makes it public property whether we like it or not.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I thought 'rouge agent' was some special term I'd not heard before, felt quite out of the loop there

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    this has been an age old problem and even after 18 years in the business, when there is conflict due to usually one muppet agent sending it out without your permission things can get very agressive from the agents side particularly if the end client complains, of course in this scenario the agent who is in the wrong always tries to blames you when the angry end client enquires.

Best thing to do is send out an e-mail to the agent who you think has the best chance of getting you the best rate/role (selecting him as your exclusive representative) as you may want him to continue looking for you in the immeditate future (agencies forget about CV clashes with other agencies in about 3-4 months).

When I first mail my CV to any agent I always state "please inform me where you are sending my CV", problem is agents who pluck the CV off jobserve and pass it to colleagues, by that time any additional notes you have put on jobserve etc would have been lost as they've played parce the parcel with your CV.

I digress a little but note this I know all the tricks of agents inside out, the one that they use in the City based type contracts is "Hello, <my name> I'm going to meet 'a client' on Friday and take some CVs to show him, do you mind if I include your CV in the pile ...?" (this is an industry convention) .... if you hear these words do not allow them to do this unless of course you get it in writing in an e-mail stating "who" the end client is and "which department" the CV is going to be shown to, otherwise the agent will use it as a 'green light' to blast your CV whereever he/she likes.

In summary its funny regarding what little control you have of your CV given that there are all these privacy laws and data protection laws which are meant to be there to let you know what other people have done with your private/personal data - you just go try and get a complete and truthful answer from an agent regarding where he sent your CV out to - I bet only 20% of agents are completely honest for this.
    Last edited by sbakoola; 26 January 2011, 06:42.

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Same thing happened to me. I gave specific instructions not to send my CV as another agency had already sent it. After finding out about it, I spoke to the rogue agent and his excuse was that he was just sending the client some sample CVs. Winker.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    I've read about this before but never have I been a victim.

Today I was called by an agent with his client now wanting to have a telephone interview with myself. Perhaps not a big deal overhaul. But then I learned that it is the same client with whom another agent has contacted me about.

How do I sort this then? The client not one I want to cause a situation with yet I'm at with the rouge agent.
    Tell the agent that as you have given consent to the other agent to soley represent you, that you will only accept the offer from the other agency. As the agent who "secured" the opportunity for you without your consent, that they are in breach of the Data Protection Act and if they attempt to obtain any monies from you for going elsewhere, you will go to the Data Commissioner and report the agent for breach. seemples.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X