• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Seventeen hundred or one thousand seven hundred"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Why did we have 2x12 hours in a day, instead of a 24 hour clock in the first place.

Was it because people couldn't count as high as 24
    The time was based on sun dials. 1 to 12 hours in daylight, mid-day was 6 hours. The other 12 hours were added later.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Interesting. And I imagine for practical reasons and for trade purposes they found 12 more convenient than 10 because it's got 4 factors and is divisible by pesky 3. That is, it was handy to count to twelve before you start with new rules for higher numbers.
    Sounds like a bloody good theory to me.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    There's an interesting etymology behind that.

Eleven comes from the old German ainlif meaning "one left", and twelve is twalif, "two left". i.e. You can only count up to ten on your fingers, so take the ten away and you have one left, or two left.

Presumably it got a bit too much to work out after that, so they switched to the teen system. Shame though, as threlve, fourven and filve would have been delicious words.
    Interesting. And I imagine for practical reasons and for trade purposes they found 12 more convenient than 10 because it's got 4 factors and is divisible by pesky 3. That is, it was handy to count to twelve before you start with new rules for higher numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post

Eleven comes from the old German ainlif meaning "one left", and twelve is twalif, "two left". i.e. You can only count up to ten on your fingers, so take the ten away and you have one left, or two left.

Presumably it got a bit too much to work out after that, so they switched to the teen system. Shame though, as threlve, fourven and filve would have been delicious words.
    8 fingers, 2 thumbs -> 1024 combinations. Those from Naarfark have up to 4096.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    There's no oneteen and twoteen either

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    You could also speak of "one point seven kilo wotsits" although this may not be appropriate for many things.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Same, I think it is an Americanism as I never knew my father to use it as a, now retired, accountant.
    I'm sure you could've shoe-horned another comma into that sentence.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I learned in French class last year that the French say the whole number, e.g. mille neuf-cent quatre-vingt dix-neuf (one thousand nine-hundred and ninety-nine), but in German I was told to say neunzehnhundertneunundneunzig (nineteen hundred ninety-nine). But that may just be years.

Is this one of those things we've adopted a bit from Germanic Anglo Saxon, and a bit from Norman French and ended up with both? Probably.
    I thought the Kronenberg beer was seize-cent soixante quatre?

(sixteen hundred and sixty four)

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Fair comments re the teen numbers being a bit odd. I wonder why that came about?

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    depends on the context and who i'm speaking to.
    Same here although generally speaking seventeen hundred for dates and one thousand seven hundred for almost all other uses would probably be right in my head.
    I should probably qualify the who and when

Meeting with the upper management about the new stock level report:
    "This report shows that you have one thousand and seven hundred widgets in stock"

Meeting with the (physical not data) warehouse manager and his minion:
    "This report shows you have seventeen-hundred widgets in stock"

Different audiences, different language. Upper management wouldn't get the dyslexic pimp joke either.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Isn't that 1605?
    yes

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Anyway, aside from dates, I find the hundred formulation annoying and immediately convert it to something meaningful when I hear it used. Not uncommonly the hundreds formulation will be accompanied with 'feet', ffs, which will mean a double conversion.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I learned in French class last year that the French say the whole number, e.g. mille neuf-cent quatre-vingt dix-neuf (one thousand nine-hundred and ninety-nine), but in German I was told to say neunzehnhundertneunundneunzig (nineteen hundred ninety-nine). But that may just be years.

Is this one of those things we've adopted a bit from Germanic Anglo Saxon, and a bit from Norman French and ended up with both? Probably.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Why did we have 2x12 hours in a day, instead of a 24 hour clock in the first place.

Was it because people couldn't count as high as 24

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    What way would you say 1700?
    In the year seventeen hundred, a ship cost one thousand, seven hundred pounds, travelled seventeen hundred miles and carried seventeen hundred barrels.

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    5 O' Clock innit governor?
    I was in the council office this afternoon. A woman (member of staff) at the counter called out "Peter! What time's 19?"

Response: "Seven".

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

5 O' Clock innit governor?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X