• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oh flipping flip

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh flipping flip"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Chucking it down with snow here now

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
    I wanna go to the ring now.... See what you've done?!?
    They have had snowfall

Webcam

Unless that melts I guess the trip is off

Leave a comment:

• The Agents View
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Have to:

(a) see what the weather is like
    (b) see how the cold is
    (c) persuade Frau D. to let me

but otherwise yes, I wouldn't say no to a trip up to the ring. The only drawback is, is that with winter tyres I'm only limited to 240 (although I did go up to 250 on Monday on the way to work to annoy a BMW 5 series driver) but...

What people forget is that on normal, i.e. non-race days, the ring is basically a normal road which means that you can't overtake on the inside, you have to stick to the posted speed limits (they even put up speed cameras sometimes) and the rest of the StVO (rules of the road) so Mich, you could cruise around in your barge and the tosser in the Porsche Carrera GT would have to sit behind you and wait for a legal place to overtake
    Errr..... Speed limits??

During public sessions, its legal status is that of a one-way public toll-road with no speed limit (except on the approach to the two exits). Vehicles must be 100% road-legal (including tyres), and normal German road traffic law applies. Road insurance is also required, but don't assume that your fully comp cover applies - see my insurance page for details.

Legally, you are required to drive on the right side all the way around - legally you are not supposed to cut across the white lines, but the road is one way, so this is not enforced (hence you can take the "racing" line) - the only speed limits are on the entry/exit gantrys of the track.

Overtaking SHOULD be done on the left, but frequently happens on the right - you will normally find that people in slower vehicles indicate right at the start of a straight and get out of the way - if they don't, then most people blast through on the right...... Just my experience and a quote from a website......

I wanna go to the ring now.... See what you've done?!?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Have to:

(a) see what the weather is like
    (b) see how the cold is
    (c) persuade Frau D. to let me

but otherwise yes, I wouldn't say no to a trip up to the ring. The only drawback is, is that with winter tyres I'm only limited to 240 (although I did go up to 250 on Monday on the way to work to annoy a BMW 5 series driver) but...

What people forget is that on normal, i.e. non-race days, the ring is basically a normal road which means that you can't overtake on the inside, you have to stick to the posted speed limits (they even put up speed cameras sometimes) and the rest of the StVO (rules of the road) so Mich, you could cruise around in your barge and the tosser in the Porsche Carrera GT would have to sit behind you and wait for a legal place to overtake

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Not only has a stinking cold just come on but its decided to chuck it down with poxy snow (and I've got slippery shoes on as well.) Flipping flip flip.
    Shouldn't that be:

(I've got slippery shoes on as well.) Flipping flip flop.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    There is no way in a million years that I would put a sticker on my car saying 'Last week I drove the ring'.

It was bad enough falling out of bed and hurting my knee, without advertising the fact to the entire autobahn

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Why don't you join Mitch.

Have you decorated your Merc with a Ring sticker?
    There is no way in a million years that I would put a sticker on my car saying 'Last week I drove the ring'.

It was bad enough falling out of bed and hurting my knee, without advertising the fact to the entire autobahn

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Sounds like a Ruhr deal.
    Taxi is waiting outside

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Nope, Münster. Quietened down a bit now but still looks like tulipe outside
    Sounds like a Ruhr deal.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    It's a great feeling, being on the edge. Before I was a conman....I mean agent....I used to race Karts, so I like to think I know what I'm doing in most high speed driving situations. I don't drive an especially fast car (Honda S2000) - fast enough to have fun in, but it's not a ferrari or owt.... Yet the sheer speed at which solid concrete, and re-inforced metal comes flying past you, absolutely scared me sideways - especially as I'd only had the car a couple of months.

That is a circuit which demands the UPMOST respect - it's twisty, it's complicated, and it's tricky with negative and positive cambers all around.

My advice would be to drive WELL within your limits for a few laps - get used to a small section, and drive hard on that, and back off when you've finished that section.

You will never learn the whole circuit in a weekend (or perhaps a year!!)
    I agree with all of that.

I was there 3 times last year.

I love the place and treat it with a lot of respect.

Usually I look more in my rear view mirror to let faster guys pass then I look out front. Almost. You know what I mean.

My super charged Z needs to be used properly once in a while - else it grows cobwebs.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    It's a great feeling, being on the edge. Before I was a conman....I mean agent....I used to race Karts, so I like to think I know what I'm doing in most high speed driving situations. I don't drive an especially fast car (Honda S2000) - fast enough to have fun in, but it's not a ferrari or owt.... Yet the sheer speed at which solid concrete, and re-inforced metal comes flying past you, absolutely scared me sideways - especially as I'd only had the car a couple of months.

That is a circuit which demands the UPMOST respect - it's twisty, it's complicated, and it's tricky with negative and positive cambers all around.

My advice would be to drive WELL within your limits for a few laps - get used to a small section, and drive hard on that, and back off when you've finished that section.

Nice post. However, it's "UTMOST".

Leave a comment:

• The Agents View
    replied
    Just take it easy and enjoy the opportunity to use the full acceleration of your barge.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I've done one of those racing driver courses at Zandvoort and concluded I'm just too crap to even attempt the Ring. I like being alive.
    Just take it easy and enjoy the opportunity to use the full acceleration of your barge.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

I've done one of those racing driver courses at Zandvoort and concluded I'm just too crap to even attempt the Ring. I like being alive.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    They could invite Mr Joachim, Gricer's art teacher. By his name I deduce that he may be German.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...way-cambs.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X