• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is Antigua like?"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied

Which one is Dodgy Agent?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Antigua and Barbuda travel advice

Around 97,000 tourists visit Antigua and Barbuda each year (source: Ministry of Tourism, Antigua) and the vast majority of visits are trouble-free. Antigua and Barbuda is a friendly and welcoming country and overall crime rates are relatively low. Despite the relaxed atmosphere however, there have been incidents of violent crime including murder. These tend to occur within the local community but can sometimes affect tourists.

There has been an overall increase in crime in Antigua over recent years, including gun crime. Two British nationals died as a result of a shooting on 27 July 2008, in their room, at a resort near Valley Church in the south west; an Australian yacht captain died following a shooting in the Nelson’s Dockyard area of English Harbour on 22 January 2009 and an Amer

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Deffo

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    No it's not a business trip. Just went out with my friends Charlie and Mary Jane
    Whatever floats your boat. If you want to go on a drug fuelled raggathon, then caribbean might work out for you.

Yes it is beautiful in places but the best spots are usually not competitively priced when compared with what you can get in other parts of the world.

Seething class warfare in Barbados hotels can be entertaining though.

Agree with you as well about the cbn being pretty seedy outside the resorts.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    No it's not a business trip. Just went out with my friends Charlie and Mary Jane

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    the Caribbean is used a half way house for drug smuggling from the S. America countries into N. America. So whilst everything is nice and rosey for most holiday makers, there lurks a shady, behind-the-scenes part too.

Food for thought...
    Aha ... so is there a 'dodgy' hidden agenda here ... ?

Is this actually a business trip ... ?

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    I'll contribute a positive comment...

I have personally been to St Lucia, Cuba and Barbados and I love it out there. My parents have been to Antigua and they rate Dicconson Bay as the nicest beach in the world (and they've travelled all over the place) - A big claim though never-the-less.

Funny thing is, I met a local in St Lucia last time out there who told me that the Caribbean is used a half way house for drug smuggling from the S. America countries into N. America. So whilst everything is nice and rosey for most holiday makers, there lurks a shady, behind-the-scenes part too.

Food for thought...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Canaries. Equatorial regions of Africa. Oz.
    Florida Keys.

Dubai.

Cape Verde islands.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Canaries.
    Just came back 2 weeks ago. Luvverly.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I've not been and know nobody has, but I've heard it's a nightmare. Like Haiti but without the tents!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    So did I. Seriously.
    my mate , right. he passed de Dutchie on the right hand side.

know what I mean ? lucky to get out in one piece. straight up not a word of a lie

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Such as where in January that is warm?
    Canaries. Equatorial regions of Africa. Oz.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    How warm will you feel with two 9mm rounds in your head?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    WHS with regards to Jamaica too.

I've no intention of wasting time and money travelling to any of these places again, when there are much nicer and safer and more enjoyable places to visit.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    you must be bonkers. I dont want to be a wet blanket dodgy, but I had a mate who went there and it was the worst mistake he ever made. ever.

So did I. Seriously.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    Never been, but been to Barbados and heard they are pretty similar so with that caveat here goes.

I booked a reasonably priced hotel in Barbados which was an absolute sh * thole. Drinks in plastic cups, cracked tiles, mouldy rooms, toothless American proles flirting with the staff, and I have had better meals at boarding school.

Out and about in Barbados was OK, most of the people where nice but really dodgy fellers everywhere who dont get that while on holiday I am not interested in buying smack.

I found the coastline overexploited (on the tourist side) , and the beaches small and washed away.

In general, unless you pay top top dollar, you will have a pretty mediocre holiday which will burn a big hole in your wallet.

Unless I can afford Mustique I wont be going to the Carribbean again
    WHS with regards to Jamaica too.

I've no intention of wasting time and money travelling to any of these places again, when there are much nicer and safer and more enjoyable places to visit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X