• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The tragedy of plastic surgery deformity"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I have always struggled with affect / effect. I wrote 'affected' the first time, convinced myself it was wrong, and changed it.

Pocket Oxford English Dictionary:
    affected adj. 1 pretended, artificial. 2 full of affectation.

effect —n. 1 result or consequence of an action etc. 2 efficacy (had little effect). 3 impression produced on a spectator, hearer, etc. (lights gave a pretty effect; said it just for effect). 4 (in pl.) property. 5 (in pl.) lighting, sound, etc., giving realism to a play, film, etc. 6 physical phenomenon (Doppler effect; greenhouse effect). —v. bring about (a change, cure, etc.).  bring (or carry) into effect accomplish. give effect to make operative. in effect for practical purposes. take effect become operative. to the effect that the gist being that. to that effect having that result or implication. with effect from coming into operation at (a stated time). [Latin: related to *fact]

Usage Effect should not be confused with affect which, as a verb, has more meanings and is more common, but which does not exist as a noun.

I'm no wiser now.

But she has got the most sodding great norks!
    Industrial Light & Magic

Industrial Light and Magic produce special effects.

My mum had an electric fire with a coal effect. I kicked the electric fire and it affected it. Ie it no longer worked

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    A shame. I remember seeing her on Big Brother last year.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    And this one isn't funny: BBC News - German reality TV star Cora dies after sixth breast op

What a waste.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Apparently, she can't afford to have them reduced. She blames it on inflation.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
    She is still being effected by the treatment
    Affected Shirley?

C'mon MrC are you letting your standards slip!
    I have always struggled with affect / effect. I wrote 'affected' the first time, convinced myself it was wrong, and changed it.

Pocket Oxford English Dictionary:
    affected adj. 1 pretended, artificial. 2 full of affectation.

effect —n. 1 result or consequence of an action etc. 2 efficacy (had little effect). 3 impression produced on a spectator, hearer, etc. (lights gave a pretty effect; said it just for effect). 4 (in pl.) property. 5 (in pl.) lighting, sound, etc., giving realism to a play, film, etc. 6 physical phenomenon (Doppler effect; greenhouse effect). —v. bring about (a change, cure, etc.).  bring (or carry) into effect accomplish. give effect to make operative. in effect for practical purposes. take effect become operative. to the effect that the gist being that. to that effect having that result or implication. with effect from coming into operation at (a stated time). [Latin: related to *fact]

Usage Effect should not be confused with affect which, as a verb, has more meanings and is more common, but which does not exist as a noun.

I'm no wiser now.

But she has got the most sodding great norks!

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Affected Shirley?

C'mon MrC are you letting your standards slip!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Yep
    You'll love this - Swine flu offers 'extraordinary super immunity'

People who recover from swine flu may be left with an extraordinary natural ability to fight off flu viruses, findings suggests ...

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    What I want to know is which one's Itsy, and which one's Bitsy?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Can't check, cos I'm at clientco, but is RC talking about Pete Burns's lip surgery ?
    Yep

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Can't check, cos I'm at clientco, but is RC talking about Pete Burns's lip surgery ?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    This poor young woman underwent plastic surgery nine years ago using an experimental technique that is now illegal.

Link. You may be moved by what you see, so NSFW. Also, there is a video interview with sound

She said: “I call them Itsy and Bitsy.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You really should get a job/contract.
    He’s keeping abreast of the news while he’s benched.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    This poor young woman underwent plastic surgery nine years ago using an experimental technique that is now illegal.

Link. You may be moved by what you see, so NSFW. Also, there is a video interview with sound
    This story has blown up out of all proportion

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    You really should get a job/contract.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    started a topic The tragedy of plastic surgery deformity

The tragedy of plastic surgery deformity

Working...
X