• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bob Diamond and the Treasury Select Committee"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    A Curzon on both of their houses then

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Ironically, the branch of AIG that sold most of these swaps (AIGFP) was based in London at 1 Curzon St.
    A Curzon on both of their houses then

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    But, to the consternation of many American politicians, much of the money has crossed the Atlantic to settle AIG's bad bets with European banks.
    Ironically, the branch of AIG that sold most of these swaps (AIGFP) was based in London at 1 Curzon St.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    AIG should have been in a position to honour its liabilities.
    They were not, so they would have failed utterly and caused chain reaction, that's why they bailed out.

The only thing I don't get is how US Govt did not refuse to honour any non-US banks obligations, ie Barclays - they should have put AIG through bankrupcy procedure and selectively buy out at discounted prices all obligations - much higher discount for foreign banks.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    "Barclays is one of the single largest beneficiaries of the US government's bailout of AIG, it emerged today. It received about £6 billion, or the equivalent of the whole of the British bank's profits for last year."

"Of those, Goldman Sachs, whose former executive Hank Paulson was Treasury Secretary at the time of the bailout, was the single largest recipient of funds from AIG with $12.9 billion.

But, to the consternation of many American politicians, much of the money has crossed the Atlantic to settle AIG's bad bets with European banks.

Deutsche Bank and Société Société Générale were the largest recipients with $12 billion each while Barclays received $8.5 billion."

Source: Barclays got £6bn of insurer's bailout cash | Business
    and?

Barclays will have paid to insure those assets down the years. AIG should have been in a position to honour its liabilities.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    "Barclays is one of the single largest beneficiaries of the US government's bailout of AIG, it emerged today. It received about £6 billion, or the equivalent of the whole of the British bank's profits for last year."

"Of those, Goldman Sachs, whose former executive Hank Paulson was Treasury Secretary at the time of the bailout, was the single largest recipient of funds from AIG with $12.9 billion.

Deutsche Bank and Société Société Générale were the largest recipients with $12 billion each while Barclays received $8.5 billion."

Source: Barclays got £6bn of insurer's bailout cash | Business

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Hold the phone. AIG bail out was not exchanged for shares like UK banks, it was just given free money by the US.
    Precisely, so the govt has no recourse or right to expect any special behaviour from the banks, as is the case with BARC.

If anyone should be getting angry, it's the taxpayers, with the govt, for carrying out the bailout in such a way that the taxpayer got nothing in return.

The govt feigning anger at the banks is just a diversionary tactic.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Hmmm. Wonder what my bonus will be this year. Should have recovered somewhat from the piss poor £50K of last year.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    There's an argument that they invested in institutions they knew couldn't fail.
    The fact that they had to be bailed out means they failed - so banks who insured in them also failed, but did not pay the price.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    AIG which was bailed out and those bail out money went to Golden Sucks as well as other banks thus supporting them pretty much directly.
    Hold the phone. AIG bail out was not exchanged for shares like UK banks, it was just given free money by the US.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Taxpayer bailed out counter parties - had RBS and LTSB fall down so would Barclays. Say Golden Sucks did not bail out from taxpayer... but they insured their losses via AIG which was bailed out and those bail out money went to Golden Sucks as well as other banks thus supporting them pretty much directly.
    There's an argument that they invested in institutions they knew couldn't fail. Some would say that's a good investment.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Taxpayer bailed out counter parties - had RBS and LTSB fall down so would Barclays. Say Golden Sucks did not bail out from taxpayer... but they insured their losses via AIG which was bailed out and those bail out money went to Golden Sucks as well as other banks thus supporting them pretty much directly.
    WHS. All banks are rolling in tax payers money. Kerching.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Did Barclays actually borrow from the British tax payer? I don't think so. So why would he by grateful..

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    I read a text summary of the proceedings but don't understand why he was there. Why the show trial? Does he just see it as a possibility to promote the tulipe hawk?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I was hoping Bob would open up the meeting with something like:

How d'you do, I see you've met my faithful handyman
    He's just a little brought down because when you knocked
    He thought you were the candyman.
    Don't get strung out by the way that I look,
    Don't judge a book by its cover
    I'm not much of a man by the light of day,
    But by night I'm one hell of a banker

Leave a comment: