• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "China conducts first test-flight of stealth plane"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    We're hardly a threat to them economically, militarily or in any way I can think of, don't you think?
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a threat to China so long as sasguru is on its side...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Where did you get those numbers? Are they out of date figures from wikipedia or something?

Try this

China $78 bn

US $729 bn

Also some suggestions are that China is keeping a lot of it off the books and they're spending more like $150 bn

I also think that $78 bn will buy more in China than it would in USA due to living costs, local economy, etc.
    e.g.

China 2.26m troops
    USA 1.58m troops

Also, the telegraph claims that "almost 80 per cent of [chinese] officers are now graduates"

Well I would sleep easy if I were you. I don't think China is overly concerned with a declining, 2nd rate, mediocre island of the coast of Europe. We're hardly a threat to them economically, militarily or in any way I can think of, don't you think?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    They'll use it twice and then the wing will snap off.
    But when you've got 19,999 more 'planes and another ¼ million pilots, and enough production capability to replace the whole lot every few weeks...

... but the wings won't snap off anyway because they steal industrial secrets as fast as they are saved to disk.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    They'll use it twice and then the wing will snap off.

Leave a comment:

• configman
    replied
    I'm quite concerned at how much money China are piling into their military budget and the rate at which they're ramping up.

Am I alone in thinking they're actually up to something here?
    Have a look around China's border and see what they are threatened with - North Korea, Russia, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Burma, Japan etc etc. For years China was the victim of invasions across these borders often with the wests involvement or support, all it wants to do is protect itself if needed. Japan and USA for many years abused China's lack of military power and strutted their stuff in the South China sea taking the michael but can't do so with such ease anymore or they will get chased out. The USA/UK pushed the Korean war into Chinese territory, India tried an invasion in the fifties, Russia was a threat most of last century, Japan had a go during the 2nd world war, and the Brits have a long history of attacking China. Only last year Al Queada said China was not immune. I think all China is saying is not again.

It amazes me how the west urges China to go in and sort out the North Koreans, but then complain when China builds up its military might.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Where did you get those numbers? Are they out of date figures from wikipedia or something?
    No they are not out of date, they are perfectly valid for the period 2004-2007, from wikipedia so it must be true

I also think that $78 bn will buy more in China than it would in USA due to living costs, local economy, etc.
    e.g.

China 2.26m troops
    USA 1.58m troops

Also, the telegraph claims that "almost 80 per cent of [chinese] officers are now graduates"

Labour in the US is cheap as chips, at the rate China is going pay shall be up on the US!

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Yes.

China defence budget $7.7 billion

US defence budget $475 billion

Try this

China $78 bn

US $729 bn

Also some suggestions are that China is keeping a lot of it off the books and they're spending more like $150 bn

e.g.

China 2.26m troops
    USA 1.58m troops

Last edited by CheeseSlice; 11 January 2011, 18:59.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Yes.

China defence budget $7.7 billion

US defence budget $475 billion

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    I'm quite concerned at how much money China are piling into their military budget and the rate at which they're ramping up.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Or maybe they don't have one at all.

"You see that plane up there?"
    "No."
    "That our new stealth plane. We have hundreds of them. All in sky at once."

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    They only stick the star on if the pilot's made a really good effort, so that he can take the plane home and show his mum and dad.

hth
    tl

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Can't help thinking they need to work on the "Stealth" element a bit more.
    Yep, when I want to make something invisible I always paint a bloody great bright red and yellow star on it too.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    That's what he says*. Maybe it's really the 15th test-flight.
    Or maybe they don't have one at all.

"You see that plane up there?"
    "No."
    "That our new stealth plane. We have hundreds of them. All in sky at once."

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    China has conducted the first test-flight of its J-20 stealth fighter, Chinese President Hu Jintao has confirmed to US Defence Secretary Robert Gates.
    That's what he says*. Maybe it's really the 15th test-flight.

*who? Hu! yes, who? etc.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Is this why the yanks have turned to the frogs for their 'special relationship'?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X