• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Royal Wedding hit by Tube Strike"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    It's the only effective one they have, and even then, by choosing a bank holiday they are going for headlines rather than economic impact. The Abbey is walking/bus distance from the main line stations if you're a dedicated fan.
    They knew the conditions when they signed up for the job, and I can't remember the last time they got a below inflation annual rise (something a lot of workers haven't had for 5 years).

They are greedy, jealous twats overseen by militant arseholes who cry about safety whenever they fancy an extra cup of tea put in their contracts. Anybody would think they were indentured workers earning well below minimum wage from the rhetoric coming from the union leaders.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    There's no market for Underground drivers though, just blackmail since they know they can bring the entire city to a halt.

Triple time plus a day off in lieu is extracting the urine with extreme prejudice. The only way I can see of getting rid of this sort of blackmail is driverless trains.
    I'm very grateful I don't have to use the Underground more than once every month or so.
    Close the tube, pedestrianise most of London on the day of the wedding, lay on extra buses. Chances are it'll be a nice(ish) day so people can walk/catch the laid on buses from the railway stations.

It would be a fantastic show of solidarity against the tube workers. Be great for boosting the old community spirit also.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It's the only effective one they have
    That's a pity - maybe they should start their own tube company, so much mor efficient and they can pay any money to themselves...

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Is holding the populace to ransom a fair negotiation tactic?

Greedy little ****ers.
    It's the only effective one they have, and even then, by choosing a bank holiday they are going for headlines rather than economic impact. The Abbey is walking/bus distance from the main line stations if you're a dedicated fan.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Quite. Nowt to add to your last. Bunch of overpaid door operatives. Get rid of them, replace them all by computers.
    They are trying to do that, unfortunately it really isn't going very well:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ne-Upgrade.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You want to see him. Take him out of school for the day. No difference. Human construct.
    Trouble is, living outside human constructs either makes you a hermit or a weirdo.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    The authorities will probably view a Tube strike on that day as a good thing. One less security problem.

I'm surprised that not more people have commented on the fact that April 29th was the date that Adolf Hitler married Eva Braun and then topped himself.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Time when my kid is not in school is worth more than time when he is. Therefore anyone who wants me to give that up has to pay more (and I'll probably refuse).
    You want to see him. Take him out of school for the day. No difference. Human construct.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    You try and negotiate your remuneration as high as the market will bear. Why shouldn't they?
    There's no market for Underground drivers though, just blackmail since they know they can bring the entire city to a halt.

Triple time plus a day off in lieu is extracting the urine with extreme prejudice. The only way I can see of getting rid of this sort of blackmail is driverless trains.
    I'm very grateful I don't have to use the Underground more than once every month or so.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    You try and negotiate your remuneration as high as the market will bear. Why shouldn't they?
    Is holding the populace to ransom a fair negotiation tactic?

Greedy little ****ers.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Again I will reiterate.

I see no difference between the human construct of time, work or people.

So making tea for a total dick head on a Sunday is no different to bringing Neil Armstrong down to land on the moon on a Tuesday. It's whoever is paying the most for that day!

Hth
    Time when my kid is not in school is worth more than time when he is. Therefore anyone who wants me to give that up has to pay more (and I'll probably refuse).

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    When you are "out of contract" (ie you punched your boss in the face again) then let me know, I am tempted to hire you for a day to make tea, water plants and clean our office, yes quiet I am looking forward to it actually
    Again I will reiterate.

I see no difference between the human construct of time, work or people.

So making tea for a total dick head on a Sunday is no different to bringing Neil Armstrong down to land on the moon on a Tuesday. It's whoever is paying the most for that day!

Hth

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Yes I would work. Yes I do work. And yes I don't see any difference.
    When you are "out of contract" (ie you punched your boss in the face again) then let me know, I am tempted to hire you for a day to make tea, water plants and clean our office, yes quiet I am looking forward to it actually

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X