• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Going back to wartime cooking"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Make sure you go for the wood pigeon, not the feral variety...
    Yep, that's a wood pigeon alright.

These are quite good too;

Hugh Fearnley Shoot'em-all's got some good recipes for them. Not for squeamish townies.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

+

=

HTH
    Make sure you go for the wood pigeon, not the feral variety...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

+

=

HTH

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Work out a food planner and shop online, that way you avoid the visit to the supermarket and get tempted.

A good hearty meal for a monday could be stew. buy extra carrots, swede, parsnips to go with sunday roast dinner and chuck it all in a pot with some nice beef.

Pack of mince and do a shepherds pie, you should have spuds left in the bag from sunday roast dinner, and slice some carrots

pasta dish, pasatta, toms, herbs and ham,chicken.

That's 3 days sorted.

HTH
    Last edited by FiveTimes; 10 January 2011, 12:15.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    At 19 and 16 they should be paying their own way.
    (Both still in full time education)

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Yes, when they're 19 and 16 years old. They eat like horses.
    At 19 and 16 they should be paying their own way.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Why would that make a difference? Do they eat tuliploads of food?
    Yes, when they're 19 and 16 years old. They eat like horses.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

You should've hooked up to the MF gravy chain like Mrs MF did. I'm fairly certain she has Jeeves checks the receipts, and I do think that Tarquin wastes an awful amount of lobster what with him only being two and dropping it all, but on the bright side, the servants can eat likes Kings once they've cleared his scraps up.
    You're lucky it snowed.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    You're a contractor and complaining about the cost of food?

All the years I spent at ClientCo away from home, different countries, one of the few pleasures was trying every restaurant I could find. Don't think I ever shopped in a supermarket during that time.

Nowadays I shop in the most expensive place around here because the quality is better and that's all that counts for me, couldn't even tell you what the bill comes to as I never look at the till or receipt.

Always eat the best quality IMHO.
    WHS. Jeeves does the shopping. I have no idea what it costs.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    You wouldn't have as much expendable income as now, at a guess. Wanging your willy about on how much you spend without even checking the reciept. Nice for you, but not everyone has that luxury!
    You should've hooked up to the MF gravy chain like Mrs MF did. I'm fairly certain she has Jeeves checks the receipts, and I do think that Tarquin wastes an awful amount of lobster what with him only being two and dropping it all, but on the bright side, the servants can eat likes Kings once they've cleared his scraps up.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    What's being a contractor got to do with it?
    Look around the posts here, being a contractor implies a better than average income and that's true in my case. I was being tongue in cheek 'accusing' suity of being tight, I don't know his circumstances or anyone else's on here.

Seems I've touched a nerve MP.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    At what point did I mention Iceland? There's a happy medium.
    The happy medium doesn't mean breaking the bank or hitting the freezer shops, paying extra for quality needn't be a luxury but simply a mindset, my choice to ignore the till receipt is an illustration of my lifestyle nothing more.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Is this a contractor's forum? Quality food doesn't cost that much extra in real terms.

My expendible income may perhaps change if I had a family true, but I would never skimp on the quality of food I would provide.
    What's being a contractor got to do with it?

My point was that your view of SY being 'tight' isn't fair. I don't need educating on quality food, ta v much.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    You've got a point, so feed them the best quality you can and give them the best possible start and a lasting appreciation of quality food. Or go to Iceland and feed them crap.
    At what point did I mention Iceland? There's a happy medium.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    You wouldn't have as much expendable income as now, at a guess. Wanging your willy about on how much you spend without even checking the reciept. Nice for you, but not everyone has that luxury!
    Is this a contractor's forum? Quality food doesn't cost that much extra in real terms.

My expendible income may perhaps change if I had a family true, but I would never skimp on the quality of food I would provide.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    You've got a point, so feed them the best quality you can and give them the best possible start and a lasting appreciation of quality food. Or go to Iceland and feed them crap.
    best affordable quality you can

Leave a comment:

Working...
X