• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Only one New Year resolution"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    You can also get a South Pacific Lonely Planet which is pretty good too.
    I've got that. It#s pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Make some more money and do a couple!
    Money's not the problem just time...

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    The cruises don't appeal but the semi guided tours look very interesting, now I'm getting spoiled for choice. Another good call.
    Make some more money and do a couple!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I believe so but typically I can't find it now.

Any of these appeal?
    The cruises don't appeal but the semi guided tours look very interesting, now I'm getting spoiled for choice. Another good call.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Can you do that? That would be a cool trip to do.
    I believe so but typically I can't find it now.

Any of these appeal?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    That's useful, thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Yup, have a look at this lot - Air Tahiti : Domestic airline of Tahiti and her islands >

You can also get the ferry to Moorea from Papeete which is pretty cool too.
    Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Now we're getting closer. So Auckland to French poly and from there to the outlying islands?
    Yup, have a look at this lot - Air Tahiti : Domestic airline of Tahiti and her islands >

You can also get the ferry to Moorea from Papeete which is pretty cool too.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Anywhere you can fly to will have a 5 star hotel - but have a look at some of the outlying French Polynesian islands. Some of them are just awesome, from rocky outcrops to coral atoll lagoons.

I have to say I didn't really enjoy Bora Bora, all of the coral was washed out and they really haven't looked after the place - but those over-water cabins are quite cool and can be found in a few places.

If you don't fancy French Poly, try the Cook Islands - Aitutaki is simply amazing. I went when I was travelling years back and took my wife there for our honeymoon. It hasn't really changed in the intervening 8 or so years.

I can also recommend Rapa Nui (Easter Island). The story of the place and the Moai is fascinating. I spent New Years there a few years ago - truly a magical place that looks like you've asked a child to draw an island, town here, volcano there, cliffs at one end, awesome beach at the other, but it is a pain in the arse to get to, 8 hours or so either from Papeete or Santiago.

Best way to get to the South Pac is a return ticket with Air NZ to Auckland - their business class is like first on other airlines as they don't have a 1st class and you get free stopovers across the Pacific.
    Now we're getting closer. So Auckland to French poly and from there to the outlying islands?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Anywhere you can fly to will have a 5 star hotel - but have a look at some of the outlying French Polynesian islands. Some of them are just awesome, from rocky outcrops to coral atoll lagoons.

I have to say I didn't really enjoy Bora Bora, all of the coral was washed out and they really haven't looked after the place - but those over-water cabins are quite cool and can be found in a few places.

If you don't fancy French Poly, try the Cook Islands - Aitutaki is simply amazing. I went when I was travelling years back and took my wife there for our honeymoon. It hasn't really changed in the intervening 8 or so years.

I can also recommend Rapa Nui (Easter Island). The story of the place and the Moai is fascinating. I spent New Years there a few years ago - truly a magical place that looks like you've asked a child to draw an island, town here, volcano there, cliffs at one end, awesome beach at the other, but it is a pain in the arse to get to, 8 hours or so either from Papeete or Santiago.

Best way to get to the South Pac is a return ticket with Air NZ to Auckland - their business class is like first on other airlines as they don't have a 1st class and you get free stopovers across the Pacific.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I always wanted to go to Easter Island and have researched it. They put an airport in when Costner did a film there and I understand that's spoilt it somewhat.

The missus has been to Tahiti. The south sea islands have always been high on my list but not visited. I would go for Patagonia over Antarctica & always fancied Pitcairn Island(as an out of the way place, but they did have some issues a few years back). I would always recommend Nepal and a visit to Bhutan, plus Indonesia is a cool country with lots and lots of different islands/peoples.
    Polynesia is moving up the list, had a look at Pitcairn and the fact it's not easily accesible adds to the attraction, definitley a possibility.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I had considered the weird as well as the exotic, getting my pic taken underneath the crossed swords in Baghdad for instance.

Really looking for somewhere different, out of the way, exclusive, once in a lifetime kinda thing. Fascinated by Easter Island, Tahiti, Antarctica, you get the idea. Anybody actually been to any of these places or anywhere else they could recommend?
    I always wanted to go to Easter Island and have researched it. They put an airport in when Costner did a film there and I understand that's spoilt it somewhat.

The missus has been to Tahiti. The south sea islands have always been high on my list but not visited. I would go for Patagonia over Antarctica & always fancied Pitcairn Island(as an out of the way place, but they did have some issues a few years back). I would always recommend Nepal and a visit to Bhutan, plus Indonesia is a cool country with lots and lots of different islands/peoples.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Antarctica?
    Yeah, been considering there.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Antarctica?

Leave a comment:

Working...