• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Minor things that really piss you off !"

Collapse

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I agree except that in the first example above, you could perfectly adequately issue a warning - it doesn't have to be a "pre-warning". In fact in either case, a warning is fine.
    My example was trying to show you shouting at someone as the cliff he's standing on is collapsing, hence the warning as the incident occurs.

It's all semantics though and I would agree the correct usage is forewarn rather than prewarn.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post

Cyclists who ... overtake on the inside
    Cyclists and motorcyclists are allowed to 'filter' in slow moving traffic, i.e. overtake on the inside.

ss. 88 and 151 of the highway code

Rules for motorcyclists (83-88) : Directgov - Travel and transport
    General advice (144-158) : Directgov - Travel and transport

If you happen to crunch one of them when they are doing so, chances are they'll be successful in suing you for any injury caused for your failure to observe the road prior to your manoeuvre.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Disagree, you can see where pre-warn has developed in the English language from the latin praemoneo. The correct usage may be forewarn, but you can see it's quite a distinct definition from warn. It's referring to a warning before the incident.

Example:
    I wouldn't go near that cliff it's liable to collapse (forewarn)
    Watch out, that cliff is collapsing (warn)
    I agree except that in the first example above, you could perfectly adequately issue a warning - it doesn't have to be a "pre-warning". In fact in either case, a warning is fine.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Invented words bearing the prefix "pre" - like Pre-order, Pre-warn, Pre-book. In every case the "pre" is redundant and the product of feebleness.
    Disagree, you can see where pre-warn has developed in the English language from the latin praemoneo. The correct usage may be forewarn, but you can see it's quite a distinct definition from warn. It's referring to a warning before the incident.

Example:
    I wouldn't go near that cliff it's liable to collapse (forewarn)
    Watch out, that cliff is collapsing (warn)

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Having a bad day, cheer-up it's only Monday
    Exactly!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Ebay sellers that put a link to an enlarged picture of their item, but when you click it the same sized picture opens up in a new window.

Supermarket assistants who, on seeing your entire conveyor belt of shopping, ask you if you'd like any carrier bags.

Users who, despite warnings and advice to backup/archive their data, don't, then blame you when the whole lot disappears.

Cyclists who don't obey traffic lights, overtake on the inside and/or ride on pavements.

Motorists who have their in-car music so loud that it drowns out my music, from the car in front.
    Having a bad day, cheer-up it's only Monday

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Pre-foreplay?
    I imagine that for quite a few guys around here that would be doubly redundant

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Five to be going on with . . .

Ebay sellers that put a link to an enlarged picture of their item, but when you click it the same sized picture opens up in a new window.

Supermarket assistants who, on seeing your entire conveyor belt of shopping, ask you if you'd like any carrier bags.

Users who, despite warnings and advice to backup/archive their data, don't, then blame you when the whole lot disappears.

Cyclists who don't obey traffic lights, overtake on the inside and/or ride on pavements.

Motorists who have their in-car music so loud that it drowns out my music, from the car in front.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Invented words bearing the prefix "pre" - like Pre-order, Pre-warn, Pre-book. In every case the "pre" is redundant and the product of feebleness.
    Pre-foreplay?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Monday afternoon hangovers

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
    Any pre-grated cheese - particularly parmesan

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    People who overtake on a dual carriageway at 1 inch per hour faster than the vehicle that they are over taking such that by the time it's your turn to overtake you've run out of dual carriageway

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Being asked to do the impossible, and then having your deliverable promised for you with an imposed deadline.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Santan****ingder don't do this faster payment thing. ******* arrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh

I think it was about 1990 that I tried using Abbey National, only to find that they took something like 10 days to process a cheque paid in. I was distinctly dischuffed to have them on the phone one morning threatening to bounce my mortgage payment when the money had already disappeared from my business account.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    It really was. But it was free.
    If it was that bad I'd have asked for my money back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X