• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scummiest tightbag moment"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I went on a 3-week training course where there were 12 delegates: a couple from IBM, a couple from Accenture, others from various other companies, and me the only contractor. On the first night I ended up taking the IBM and Accenture bods (the only ones willing to stay out) out for pizzas, and paid for the meal. This sparked off a kind of "who can claim the biggest expenses" competition between IBM and Accenture, and I pretty much ate top restaurant food for free for the remaining weeks.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    When I was a very wee lass I went to a birthday party. Sister was sick at home, so I thought it would be nice to take some sweets for her. I didn't have any pockets in my party frock. A quick trip to the loo and I found the perfect hiding place. Despite the discomfort endured in transporting the sweets home, my parents wouldn't allow her to eat them!
    So doubly applicable to the thread title "scummiest tightbag"

Leave a comment:

• manclarky
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    Now I know you guys are all loaded but have any of you ever sank so low?
    To this day, I find myself rummaging in the bin at home finding perfectly good food my wife has chucked, "in case it's off".
    Just last week, there was a half-eaten Chinese curry she couldn't finish the night before.
    After removing the rind on top from the morning's breakfast, it went into the microwave for 3 mins and was eaten - very tasty.
    She is also fond of chucking bread, just because, "it's stale". The only issue with this is that bread tends to soak up any liquid (semi-liquid) items in the bin (tea bags are worst), but it all just adds to the flavour once toasted.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Should have asked for a daily allowance + rate

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    When I was a student (so not contractor related) I often used to drink Newcastle Brown. In the pub we used to frequent (the skyrack in headingley) they sold it but it was way more expensive that the Victoria Wine a little further down the road. I used to buy mine there, sneak them back into the pub, and when I was finished, hand them in at the bar for a 10p per bottle refund.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    When I was a very wee lass I went to a birthday party. Sister was sick at home, so I thought it would be nice to take some sweets for her. I didn't have any pockets in my party frock. A quick trip to the loo and I found the perfect hiding place. Despite the discomfort endured in transporting the sweets home, my parents wouldn't allow her to eat them!
    Aah, what a lovely sister.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Some years ago I and about a dozen of my colleagues and spouses arranged a pub Christmas dinner. We ordered two bottles of wine between us. We knew what was on sale at the pub and so we had each bought similar bottles from the supermarket and smuggled them into the pub. The staff were quite surprises that we managed to get so merry on two bottles between us,

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I also need to find a way to get cheap books. It is 25 dollars (15.50 GBP) for a paperback over here. I consider this nothing short of criminal and it certainly explains a lot!
    Register with BookCrossing. By following that, you can pick up books for free.

Do they have charity shops where you are that sell books like they do in the UK?

What about Amazon?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Where did you store the food?

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    I also need to find a way to get cheap books. It is 25 dollars (15.50 GBP) for a paperback over here. I consider this nothing short of criminal and it certainly explains a lot!

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    i heated up food on the travelodge heater, when it was 25 degrees outside

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I balanced it on my laptop.

I suggest you invest in some sort of baggy tunic with big pockets for future food theft.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I balanced it on my laptop.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Classy lady, I knew it.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I thought sadly about handing over an inflated sum for my nightly uninspired takeaway... and that was enough to have me hitting the remains of the buffet. I quickly sank a glass of fresh OJ, then loaded up on sausage rolls, small quiches and pizza slices while nervously looking around.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X