• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Smoking ban?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Smoking ban?"

Collapse

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    Exactly Threaded!

For how can one soar like and eagle when one is surrounded by turkeys?

Your modesty knows no bounds
    Would that be Eddy the Eagle?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    I junked a job in because of the smokers. Not smoking in and off itself, even if they did make the office fairly smelly (although they did smoke outside they were just plain, yuck, stinky), but I just got fed up with so many useless cnuts, I reconned they could sack 'em all and just give me the money instead, seeing as I was carrying them anyways.
    Exactly Threaded!

For how can one soar like and eagle when one is surrounded by turkeys?

Your modesty knows no bounds

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I junked a job in because of the smokers. Not smoking in and off itself, even if they did make the office fairly smelly (although they did smoke outside they were just plain, yuck, stinky), but I just got fed up with so many useless cnuts, I reconned they could sack 'em all and just give me the money instead, seeing as I was carrying them anyways.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    He's one of those missing link Kiwis. Not terribly bright, but you'd expect that.
    Ah! Thanks SG, explains a lot.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I love these weak willed smokers posts...... which are accompanied with "I cant avoid them". You can avoid them. Dont go to the pub or open your own non smoking establishment. Quit your job and make sure the boss knows it is because of the foul smell of smokers.
    You dont even have an addiction to excuse your spineless stance.
    If there was a need for smoke free pubs and eateries then they would exist, its just that the anti brigade would rather ban it than vote with their feet.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    And where are you from?
    He's one of those missing link Kiwis. Not terribly bright, but you'd expect that.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Well that explains a lot then

Never liked the Irish, they smell of cabbages and have small hands!

Mailman
    And where are you from?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by bfg
    Ireland.
    Well that explains a lot then

Never liked the Irish, they smell of cabbages and have small hands!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    Apparently the American stereotype of us Brits is that we have bad teeth.
    Quite right. We wouldn't take a 5 figures loan to make them white and new.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Oh sure. And so people who don't wear deodorant stink too. Shall we make a law that force people to use deodorant everyday? Shall we forbid Fried Chicken restaurants? Shall we make mandatory checking in people's breaths? I don't like beers smell, still I don't refuse to go to a pub and don't want beers to be banned. Don't you think your health-nazis requests are a bit ridicolous, just because you are protected by the stereotype (and you are even building on top of that also the image of the smoker who is dirty and doesn't care about his mouth hygiene) that smoking is the only health and hygiene problem in this world doesn't make you necessarily right.
    Who are you kidding. I'm now an ex smoker and I feel great. Smoking is an evil and foul addiction and while you should be allowed to do it when

(1) you are only with other smokers (they should have allowed 25% smoking pubs in the legislation)
    or
    (2) in your own home

no non-smoker should put up with it.
    Smokers stink and are weak-willed addicts, end of story.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Oh sure. And so people who don't wear deodorant stink too. Shall we make a law that force people to use deodorant everyday? Shall we forbid Fried Chicken restaurants? Shall we make mandatory checking in people's breaths? I don't like beers smell, still I don't refuse to go to a pub and don't want beers to be banned. Don't you think your health-nazis requests are a bit ridicolous, just because you are protected by the stereotype (and you are even building on top of that also the image of the smoker who is dirty and doesn't care about his mouth hygiene) that smoking is the only health and hygiene problem in this world doesn't make you necessarily right.
    Of course you can't enforce hygiene. But changing clothes daily and washing is common courtesy. Surely.

Apparently the American stereotype of us Brits is that we have bad teeth. Our stereotype of them used to be that they are squeaky clean. Maybe it still is. And our sterotype of the French is that they are dirty. They certainly used to have the lowest per capita consumption of soap in Europe. Even there the times they are a changin'. Smelly cheese consumption is down markedly. Sadly.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    [..] Oh and Stig of the Dump, the contractor seated next to me, smells foul when he comes back from his regular fag breaks. I have to put up with that stink. And if you are unfortunate to get a blast of his breath - urrrggghhh. The only upside is that it masks his appalling body odour. And presumably his bad breath too.

Leave a comment:

• bfg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    For the love of alah...where do they come up with rubbish like this?

Mailman
    Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTheCrate
    So you think it is ill informed nonsense to say that the numbers of smokers has reduced enormously over the years and that many or most pubs have long since fitted ventilation systems.

Your prejudice appears to have also extended to delusion, 'old bean'.

Ermm ... I don't smoke.
    It isn't prejudice to object to something unpleasant. If I were to slap you, you would object. Is that prejudice? Errr .... no. If I said that I had a right to slap you because it gave me pleasure, would that make it acceptable. Errr ... no.

Smoking is unpleasant for people nearby even with ventilation systems. Oh for goodness sake you would need hurricane force extractor hoods to prevent the stench ruining food eaten near a smoker.

And then there's the crowds of people hanging around near doorways, forcing you to walk through a cloud of cough inducing stench. Sorry mate but that's a daily experience. Oh and Stig of the Dump, the contractor seated next to me, smells foul when he comes back from his regular fag breaks. I have to put up with that stink. And if you are unfortunate to get a blast of his breath - urrrggghhh. The only upside is that it masks his appalling body odour. And presumably his bad breath too.

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    What ill informed nonsense.
    So you think it is ill informed nonsense to say that the numbers of smokers has reduced enormously over the years and that many or most pubs have long since fitted ventilation systems.

Your prejudice appears to have also extended to delusion, 'old bean'.

Asuming that your smoking damaged sense of smell notices anything.
    Ermm ... I don't smoke.
    Last edited by BobTheCrate; 16 February 2006, 19:45.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X