• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best value motor under £15K"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    If I had £15K for a car, my shortlist to try would include

Clio V6 255
    BMW M Roadster (the Z3 with the big engine)
    Vauxhall VX 220 Turbo
    A pimped Supra Turbo (would have to have purple flip paint and mental Jap bodykit)

Or, if the too-toot public sector .NET gravy train keeps pace, downpayment on a Lambo Gallardo.
    vx220 turbo- good call, 2.2 litre vauxhall engine is better than the rover k series in the elise, however toyota engined elise is good.

Z3 m series- poor chasis which cannot cope with the power hence over 50% of them were written off.

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Thinking Outside the Box

How about this? All yours for £14250 and will run for ever (1,000,000 miles at least). Plenty of room for luggage and can be used by your brother/cousin when you're not using it to generate some extra revenue. With the sort of mileage the average Joe does you may never need another car again.

Patons Taxiworld

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    "£15k? The best E Class Merc Diesel I can find for the money.",

here in Sausage Land, ask any taxi driver and they will tell you the latest shape E class is a bag of electrical trouble

get the last shape or avoid mercedes, these days the quality has gone down the toilet

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Craig~
    Mazda 6's are meant to be good, new one looks ok too.
    I'd second that.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Hey, that's not fair. You are no longer the annoying itchy rat I used to know. I am even starting to feel sympathetic about you.

Unless you are just being a misleading weasel. I am sure that as a kid you used to play the trick that during fights you were hurt so the other would come and give you a hand and you will then kick him in the balls.
    Like I said, working on my political skills ...

BTW The only person I would fight is a one-legged dwarf.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    I may not be the best manager in the world, but because I came up through the ranks as a techie, my failings are political rather than technical.
    I'm working on that though and I believe my team respect me, because I understand the technical side of the work.
    Hey, that's not fair. You are no longer the annoying itchy rat I used to know. I am even starting to feel sympathetic about you.

Unless you are just being a misleading weasel. I am sure that as a kid you used to play the trick that during fights you were hurt so the other would come and give you a hand and you will then kick him in the balls.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    Mazda 6's are meant to be good, new one looks ok too.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    That's a bit cruel to Emmenthal don't you think?

Reminds me of more than a few managers I've known. Gives out wrong instruction and is surprised when the product ain't what was expected.

Fungus
    I may not be the best manager in the world, but because I came up through the ranks as a techie, my failings are political rather than technical.
    I'm working on that though and I believe my team respect me, because I understand the technical side of the work.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Forumbore
    I thought E class mercs were a bit iffy these days?
    The one that you're going to get will be an older one.

As for iffy? A mate of mine has just bought a new one (petrol) and he's very happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• Forumbore
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    £15k? The best E Class Merc Diesel I can find for the money.
    I thought E class mercs were a bit iffy these days?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    £15k? The best E Class Merc Diesel I can find for the money.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    If I had £15K for a car, my shortlist to try would include

Clio V6 255
    BMW M Roadster (the Z3 with the big engine)
    Vauxhall VX 220 Turbo
    A pimped Supra Turbo (would have to have purple flip paint and mental Jap bodykit)

Or, if the too-toot public sector .NET gravy train keeps pace, downpayment on a Lambo Gallardo.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    1992 Rover 420 - £25.

I'll even throw in the 5 litre can of oil it will need after a couple of weeks.

Is the oil to pour over the car to help it burn when you apply a match?

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    1992 Rover 420 - £25.

I'll even throw in the 5 litre can of oil it will need after a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    15 K to spend.
    Second hand
    4 year old Honda s2000
    18 month old Chrysler crossfire (not class leading but depreciate really quick, so good value after used)
    Lexus IS200 - better than a BMW 3 series, more exclusive and bullet proof.
    8 year old Merc SL320
    5 year old Fiat Coupé and change for the insurance
    5 year old Ford Cougar and change for the tyre changes
    5 year old Merc 190 2.5d and a lot of change.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X