• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Britains Trillion Pound Horror - Channel 4"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post

No idea what the Laffer curve was until I looked on google there, now I am an expert on economics.
    I looked it up, and by God he's right!

There was me thinking it was a measure of Scouse humour.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Can't climatologists use spare capacity on their monstrous computers to simulate the economy and nail this one on the head once and for all. What's best, for most, low taxes or a big public sector.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
    Secondly, the terms and concepts you mention have been discussed here at length in myriad other threads. For example, I'd wager almost anyone on this forum (perhaps with the exception of AtW) is familiar with the Laffer curve.
    I thought a Laffer curve was to do with Global Warming...

"Is this a hockey sick which I see before me,
    The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.
    I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
    Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible
    To feeling as to sight? Or art thou but
    A hockey stick of the mind, a false creation,
    Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?"

(apologies to Bill S.)

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    No idea what the Laffer curve was until I looked on google there, now I am an expert on economics.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Translation:

As greenlabel doesn't know what he's talking about then neither can anyone else

Firstly, my point, which you seem to have missed, is that you're bagging everyone else's knowledge of the subject without demonstrating any of your own. If you've got an opinion, put it out there. If you think you're an expert, let's see you prove it.

Secondly, the terms and concepts you mention have been discussed here at length in myriad other threads. For example, I'd wager almost anyone on this forum (perhaps with the exception of AtW) is familiar with the Laffer curve.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Translation:

"No one here knows what they're talking about. I do, and to prove it, here are some words I found using a search engine."
    Translation:

As greenlabel doesn't know what he's talking about then neither can anyone else

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Translation:

"No one here knows what they're talking about. I do, and to prove it, here are some subjects you might like to look into before you start waxing lyrical and making yourself look like a baseless idiot, but which I can't be bothered to explain to you, because you're a baseless idiot"
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Translation:

"No one here knows what they're talking about. I do, and to prove it, here are some words I found using a search engine."
    Bitchy, but fair. And funny.

I watched half an hour of it, found it really patronising and turned it off.
    Until the debt bites, no one will really care. What my limited brain tells me is that if things carry on we are likely to default, which we have done before, and survived.

Don't worry, be happy.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    I don't profess to be an economist, though I do have a degree in it

Some things that haven't been considered here are:

- foreign trade ("just default on the debt everything'll be fine" - right-o matey)
    - the laffer curve
    - types of money and the effect of governments altering the supply of money (and when to do it)
    - sovereign debt

etc etc.

far be it for me to suggest that you professionals stop though.
    Translation:

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Oh do enlighten us Oh great guru.
    I don't profess to be an economist, though I do have a degree in it

Some things that haven't been considered here are:

- foreign trade ("just default on the debt everything'll be fine" - right-o matey)
    - the laffer curve
    - types of money and the effect of governments altering the supply of money (and when to do it)
    - sovereign debt

etc etc.

far be it for me to suggest that you professionals stop though.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    How does borrowing generate wealth for the country?

I thought borrowing is what happens when you cannot afford something?
    Not necessarily. I borrow money when the cost of borrowing is less than the amount I can invest it for. Therefore generates wealth.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    A country borrowing cash is actually good in some respects. There will be a demand for the currency and it is a chosen method of long term borrowing to finance solid infrastructure projects.
    How does borrowing generate wealth for the country?

I thought borrowing is what happens when you cannot afford something?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Bolton is like that. So people just go the the Trafford Centre instead. And now Bolton town centre is dead. We travel to the next town because parking is free, and where live its all restricted with silly pay and display machines. Some charging £2 for 1 hour, when I only need 20min.
    Halifax is much the same.

There used to be plenty of on street free parking around the town which while not booming used to be doing ok. The parking nera the centre was 1 hour max, a bit further out 2 hours, so it was practical to nip into town to get a few things.

Some rabidly anti car biddy (who apparently had never driven) was appointed to lead the traffic strategy for the town, the parking was halved, pay and display machines installed and a few of the road layouts changed so that getting into the town centre was more difficult, they also employed a squadron of parking vultures who ticket like mad. At the same time the Council which owns most of the town centre shoved the rents and rates sky high.
    Nett effect loads of empty shops, number of shops occupied by Charity organisations increased significantly and the town centre is dead. People drive to the White Rose in Leeds, Trafford Centre in Manchester (80 mile round trip) or Meadowhall in Sheffield (100 mile round trip) rather than head into the Halifax town centre.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    "The PLA is the world's largest military force, with approximately 3 million members"

People's Liberation Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well if you cant beat them - Comrades .... so we are the mercy of a Communust Country and all this debt repayment is going ultimately to Chinese Bond Holders ... there you have it.

But if you carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
    You aint going to make it with anyone - anyhow

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Thanks GL.

If it is the Bond Holders - then why not simply write off the Trillion debt by saying 'Tough Luck Old Bean - your Bond is now junk'.

If they dont like it - then how many tanks do the Bond Holders have ?
    "The PLA is the world's largest military force, with approximately 3 million members"

People's Liberation Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

Working...
X