• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you had £10 million pounds"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    Anyone who falls for those emails only have themselves to blame. I assume by your anger, you have been taken in?
    I haven't. It is the inconvenience and burden upon the global economy that makes me cross.

If we implemented the death penalty for anyone who buy anything off any form of cold-calling, it would have all been stopped long ago.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    OK, what I'd really, really, really like to do with £10m.

Create some honeytrap email addresses and make them available online. Start collecting the incoming spam.

Construct a small team of techie private investigators who will communicate with the spammers as punters until they can get an identity in the way the 419 baiters do.

Recruit some mercenaries who have fewer-than-average ethics.

Have the spammers executed.

Rinse and repeat until the money runs out.

I reckon £10m should be enough to get rid of a few hundred of these parasites.

(And why no country's 'security services' didn't start doing this 15 years ago, I do not understand.)

Capital idea, and not just spammers.

I'd include web developers who produce sites that pop up a window saying your PC is infested with viruses, with a progress bar indicating how many dozens their app has already found, and you can't close their window without using Task Manager (and even that doesn't always work)

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Create some honeytrap email addresses and make them available online. Start collecting the incoming spam.

Construct a small team of techie private investigators who will communicate with the spammers as punters until they can get an identity in the way the 419 baiters do.

(And why no country's 'security services' didn't start doing this 15 years ago, I do not understand.)
    Anyone who falls for those emails only have themselves to blame. I assume by your anger, you haver been taken in?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I'd buy this:

To live in, of course. Couldn't afford the opex to fly the damn thing.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Reet posh that. I bet you'd wear a wax jacket, too.
    Hey, MP, bought your new Chelsea Tractor yet?

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    I think the question behind the question is: What do you really want to be doing with your life instead of staring at a monitor/keyboard and putting up with IT-related tulipe, and answered it accordingly. Some here love IT and would stay in their job and buy trinkets - others would have a complete lifestyle change.

I might have been posh had I mentioned Barbour jackets, horses & stables, wellies and climbing excursions - ooh, I forgot the climbing excursions - I'd also travel to the North Pole by helicopter and drink champagne. Without the Red Bull.

North Utsere, South Utsere... rising slowly
    Haha - there you are posh boy

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Ha.

Yep, WCMS.

Deffo!!

Mind you - I did have one as my school coat for a year or two.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Yeah but you are... painting and sculpting and shooting and all that malarkey.
    Ha.

Yep, WCMS.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I think the question behind the question is: What do you really want to be doing with your life instead of staring at a monitor/keyboard and putting up with IT-related shit:e, and answered it accordingly. Some here love IT and would stay in their job and buy trinkets - others would have a complete lifestyle change.

I might have been posh had I mentioned Barbour jackets, horses & stables, wellies and climbing excursions - ooh, I forgot the climbing excursions - I'd also travel to the North Pole by helicopter and drink champagne. Without the Red Bull.

North Utsere, South Utsere... rising slowly...

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Really? I thought it was quite a modest lifestyle!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    State exactly what you would do with it.
    I'd buy CUK and have you thrown out

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    You are so posh.
    Really? I thought it was quite a modest lifestyle!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    I'd give £1m to charities/benevolent funds.

Then buy an old stone house somewhere nice - on the coast; Possibly Devon or Pembrokeshire - convert the outbuildings into a studio, equip it, then spend the rest of my days as an artist, mostly in chalk & oils, possibly dabbling in sculpture, living modestly off the interest. I'd take frequent, backpacker-style trail holidays with Mrs RH, and she'd probably want to continue working in the health profession. I might also teach local kids photography on an ad-hoc basis. I'd buy a Hasselblad 500CM kit.

I'd probably also buy a nice short-wheelbase Land Rover; And a baby grand piano, to get back into my music; We'd have 2 cats: a Tonkinese and a Norwegian Forest; and an Old English Sheepdog. I'd also buy a nice over & under Beretta and get back into skeet shooting.

Quality.
    You are so posh.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    ...I'd take frequent, backpacker-style trail holidays with Mrs RH...
    Now you're talking.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    I'd probably also buy a nice short-wheelbase Land Rover.
    I'd have one of those also. I like 'em.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X