• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Horizon; Asteroids

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Horizon; Asteroids"

Collapse

• derekthedalek
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    This is the only one of the current run of Horizon that I'll bother to watch.

Whether that says anything about me or about the current state of Horizon, I'm not altogether sure.
    Didn't you once build a little rockery in earth orbit from asteroids?

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I think David Attenborough's got a new series starting on Friday about the origins of life; could be worth watching.
    We at Pogle Acres are looking forward to this

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Although I preferred the 'fa' sound used in the Horizon film
    Here's the Horizon version, which I think is better:

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I thought the 'Pre-Big Bang' one was good if a little WTF???? And the one about how the mind interprets senses was ace, this guy wore a belt that always vibrated at the point facing magnetic north, after a few days he couldn't describe his experience to someone who hadn't tried it themselves, it sort of melded into a sixth sense that he no longer had to give any thought to.
    I was intrigued enough by your description to go and watch it. It was indeed very good. BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Horizon, 2010-2011, Is Seeing Believing?

Here's a short in-lined video of the McGurk effect:

Although I preferred the 'fa' sound used in the Horizon film

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

Whether that says anything about me or about the current state of Horizon, I'm not altogether sure.
    I thought the 'Pre-Big Bang' one was good if a little WTF???? And the one about how the mind interprets senses was ace, this guy wore a belt that always vibrated at the point facing magnetic north, after a few days he couldn't describe his experience to someone who hadn't tried it themselves, it sort of melded into a sixth sense that he no longer had to give any thought to.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Saw this last night, quite enjoyable; watch it here if you've missed it.

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Horizon, 2010-2011, Asteroids - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

This will stop them...
    | eHow.com

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    I think David Attenborough's got a new series starting on Friday about the origins of life; could be worth watching.
    It'll be about those Asteroids again, you mark my words

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Usual dumbed down BBC Horizon.

Asteroids are rocks, some are big, some are small, the big ones are easier to spot, so the small ones are more dangerous as we won't have much/any warning that one is about to hit a major city.

There you are, why do they need an hour to tell you that.
    Not true - they found 3 (out of 100k+ !!) that are made out of water - and therefore concluded that all the earth's water came from Asteroid hits...

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    And how was it playing asteroids with someone's pint spilled in that screen well?
    See the glass screen over the buttons? That single sheet covered the entire game table.

And this was back in the days when tables were cleaned with a bowl of soapy water and a cloth, rather than spraying some ineffectual cleaner on the food remnants and rubbing a greasy rag over it to smear it about a bit like they do now.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I can help!

I ain't frightened of no asteroids.

I'll blow 'em away! Ha ha!

I do miss those sit-down-games in pubs. I wonder why they went away?
    And how was it playing asteroids with someone's pint spilled in that screen well?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Just thought I'd get a slightly nerdier thread going to amuse the science geeks among us.
    I can help!

I ain't frightened of no asteroids.

I'll blow 'em away! Ha ha!

I do miss those sit-down-games in pubs. I wonder why they went away?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I watched it, quite an interesting programme even though they obviously have to put big lumps of the science into simple terms for those without a scientific background to be able to watch it.

I enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Well at least it was more interesting than yet more politics, eco-bloody-nomics or financial markets and that kind of boring crap.

Just thought I'd get a slightly nerdier thread going to amuse the science geeks among us.

Sorry,
    There was an interesting cookery programme on earlier on BBC1 on how to make oven chips amongst other things. It involved a tennis racket restrung with wire, a spud gun, a leaf blower and dry ice. Firing a spud through atennis racket strung with wire looked remarkably effective.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Usual dumbed down BBC Horizon.
    Well at least it was more interesting than yet more politics, eco-bloody-nomics or financial markets and that kind of boring crap.

Sorry,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X