• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Crashed?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Crashed?"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    It's still not supposed to exit through the engine casings...

Rolls-Royce will not be happy...
    Disc assemblies moves faster than a fast thing with fast bits on it. Nothing is stopping that if it decides to leave. All aero engines have this risk, it's not unique to any one manufacturer. If it released aircraft side it would have gone through it the cabin like it was not there. It's happened before:

Pictures: GE investigates cuase of AA 767 uncontained failure

An aircraft would not get off the ground if the required shielding were fitted.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    normally engine casings are designed to contain the moving parts in the event of a catastrophic failure of the turbine to stop them penetrating the cabin and wings (some should pass through the engine exhaust outlet).
    THIS is the RR Trent 900 (engine type present in the affected A380) undergoing said test.

One of the front fan blades has an explosive charge attached and is detonated so that it releases at force into the casing and the rest of the engine.

edit: Here is the footage from a BBC documentary earlier this year.
    Last edited by CheeseSlice; 4 November 2010, 17:09.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Unlikely to be a compressor failure that would have damaged the nacelle and not the cowl. This is a turbine failure of some kind.
    It's still not supposed to exit through the engine casings...

Rolls-Royce will not be happy...
    Last edited by SupremeSpod; 4 November 2010, 17:06.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    looks like I'm staying in Singapore for a few days, meant to be flying back to UK with.Singapore airlines tomorrow on one.

Defo material failure in compression stage rotator,.same as Soux city crash I think.

On phone in pub, spelling will.be off.
    Be careful out there son.
    I have this mate , right, and he only went and had a swim in the straights, didnt he. No one had warned him about the burrow worms that swarm there. oh, and dont drink the water, and watch for the adams apple

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Defo material failure in compression stage rotator,.same as Soux city crash I think..

Unlikely to be a compressor failure that would have damaged the nacelle and not the cowl. This is a turbine failure of some kind.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    looks like I'm staying in Singapore for a few days, meant to be flying back to UK with.Singapore airlines tomorrow on one.

Defo material failure in compression stage rotator,.same as Soux city crash I think.

On phone in pub, spelling will.be off.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Although the media always get hysterical about anything to do with aviation incidents, an engine shutdown in flight is a relatively predictable incident to deal with. However, an uncontained engine failure is of more concern as normally engine casings are designed to contain the moving parts in the event of a catastrophic failure of the turbine to stop them penetrating the cabin and wings (some should pass through the engine exhaust outlet).

Interesting.

Interesting indeed.

If the damage is the result of a high energy debris thank goodness it exited air side.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Dunno

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Why do Australians have to put an 'o' on the end of everything?
    Dunno

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    It's peeing down again. Yesterday evening wasn't too bad - met Aussielong for a beer or three and sat outside - although jackets were required. Staying in Paddington, or Paddo as the locals call it - about 3 miles from the centre. Apparently the forecast for the next few weeks is tulipe.
    Bummer about the weather, but probably still much nicer than here. I think I stayed in Victoria for a bit, which was a bit of a dive.

Why do Australians have to put an 'o' on the end of everything?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Grab a straw and suck it back up. Hope Oz is sunnier today? Are you staying in the city?
    It's peeing down again. Yesterday evening wasn't too bad - met Aussielong for a beer or three and sat outside - although jackets were required. Staying in Paddington, or Paddo as the locals call it - about 3 miles from the centre. Apparently the forecast for the next few weeks is tulipe.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    You made me snort Sauvignon Blanc down my nose. What a waste.
    Grab a straw and suck it back up. Hope Oz is sunnier today? Are you staying in the city?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    LATEST -

Quantas have confirmed that after the plane had landed, and the three remaining engines were switched off, there was still a loud whining coming from the aircraft.
    They have asked MF to leave the plane

You made me snort Sauvignon Blanc down my nose. What a waste.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Reading and seeing pictures on PPRuNe suggest uncontained engine failure on #2. Although perfectly OK to fly on 3 engines there appears to have been some engine debris that has gone through part of the wing.

There is also a suggestion that the pilot was unable to shutdown engine #1 after landing suggesting that the engine controls were damaged. Pictures show fire crew dousing the area around engine #1 suggesting that they were trying to flood the engine to stop it. Again, difficult to say.

Another picture shows part of the turbine casing from the damaged engine that is now being taken back to the investigation site.

One picture shows the front gear doors opened on the stationary a/c which normally suggest some hydraulic failure but it's difficult to tell at this stage - they may be open for another reason.

Although the media always get hysterical about anything to do with aviation incidents, an engine shutdown in flight is a relatively predictable incident to deal with. However, an uncontained engine failure is of more concern as normally engine casings are designed to contain the moving parts in the event of a catastrophic failure of the turbine to stop them penetrating the cabin and wings (some should pass through the engine exhaust outlet).

Interesting.
    Last edited by hyperD; 4 November 2010, 09:33.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    LATEST -

Quantas have confirmed that after the plane had landed, and the three remaining engines were switched off, there was still a loud whining coming from the aircraft.
    They have asked MF to leave the plane

Leave a comment:

Working...
X