• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Excel Add-in or Excel Reporting Engine?"

Collapse

Guest replied
    Re: desires

C'mon Monkey Trading, InfoScheduler, you know it makes sense.

BTW, there is a new marketed whisky called Monkey Shoulder that is supposed to be a bit pissy but aimed at limp wristed 20 somethings - perhaps that's a new avenue to explore MF?

Also, do you still have your store at Bracknell - that's really close to one of my clients... is it near J&J offices?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

"The get some poor @#%$ Indian bloke to write it for you!"

:rollin

Nice

It's Logica.

:rollin

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Dim. Like a DBA friend of mine you are missing the point.

What happens if

a) You do not have SQL Server and hence DTS
    b) You do not have direct access to the Server(Ie ODBC connections)
    c) You know piss all about SQL or you are the user
    d) You cannot even license any software.

I have had to provide my own copies of software. I need to hand something over to people who basically have less of a clue than Tony Blair. They make Milan look like a genius and ATW a god.

Dont think techie, think management.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: SKA

Plus, I want it easy and quick to use.

Plus, cheap.

and I dont want to have to write it from scratch.<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>

The get some poor @#%$ Indian bloke to write it for you!

FFS, there's no all singing all dancing reporting solution that numpty's can use that cost
    <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I hadnt really noticed before ATW, the similarity between you and that Craig bloke in Big Brother.

He's forever bitching at the people he shares the house with but then is always seen stroking their feet or hair or massaging them.

Just noticed a little similarity thats all.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Problem is, you are talking about using DTS. Users have no idea of this concept.
    Users don't need to know. They just see raw tabulated data in base sheets and have no idea how it magically keeps fresh.

A decent contractor can write all the SQL and DTS jobs in such a way as to produce 100's of different raw data sheets. Products by month, Sales by region etc etc and end users create their reports without ever knowing anything about DTS.

The data sheets are denormalised extracts for the database data for reporting.

If you want to go down some heath robinson nightmare with custom schedulars and a bit of script and some dot net a few com components and blah....you're more than welcome...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    desires

Would you also like it to polish your boots and start up your car on cold mornings as well? :rolleyes

C'mon people, where is your famed CUK solidarity -- lets all bash MF >:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Oh! and I dont want ridiculous overheads like .NET.

Plus, I want it easy and quick to use.

Plus, cheap.

and I dont want to have to write it from scratch.

8o

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Dim. Spot on.

Problem is, you are talking about using DTS. Users have no idea of this concept. I need a product that provides to be the benefits of using Crystal Reports, in Excel, with a Scheduler which does event handling and parameters.

Try finding a "Good" scheduler for Crystal which does all this and you're talking oodles of cash.

And the problem is, every client hates the way Crystal Schedulers send one report after another unless you build way complex sub reports.

I wrote one recently which had the functionality for crystal but it has licensing issues.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Dim, that's the sensible approach.

What is required here is a "Component Source" approach i.e. a long search into some obscure .net component that almosts does what you want but if you knew what you were doing in the first place you could actually write a component that could do exactly what you want to do in the first place in half the time.

However, you must apply the contractor/hourly invoice rule here for full effect.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    SKA

> Id been using ATW's SKA for hours and didnt find that.

You just had to bring SKA into this, hadn't you? :rolleyes

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    This is as close as I've got to this.

1. Users specify reports in Excel and use linked cells to build reports against raw data.

2. To keep the reports fresh, DTS jobs in SQL write raw Excel data into these sheets every day,week, month, whatever and they are held on network shares with permissions set for those that are allowed to see them.

Now as long as the users are able to understand the layout of the raw data sheets they can build their fancy charts and summary sheets that reference these raw data sheets. The DTS job keeps them fresh.

If this ain't no good, then I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: typical MF

Id been using ATW's SKA for hours and didnt find that. Cheers.

As it happens this uses external tools such as BO or Enterprise. Using their DLLS it not what I am after.

Needs to exist in its own right.

For instance at the moment I have

a) EZ Scheduler kicking off macros of VB Scripts (Windows NT would work)
    b) Macro is kicked off attaching to databases using ODBC/ADO
    c) Data is pulled and dropped into place
    d) I have to use the pulled data to produce reports using Power Functions
    e) Trend information is stored in spreadsheet ( I would prefer storage in DB)
    f) Reports dynamically updated using some clever formulas
    g) Saved to new location
    h) Picked back up by Scheduler, zipped
    i) Sent my SMTP server to list produced.

I want all this in one application.

To much to ask?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: typical MF

Oh FFS... quick Google for the limp wristed amongst us and...

www.apos.on.ca/InfoScheduler/

Right, where is my flagon of fermented sheep's piss...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    typical MF

ffs, this is so typical of MF: give me fecking Earth doing mindreading reporting and not costing a penny to the client.

I appreciate MF that with all mind devoted to finding cheap "authentic" Ming vases you got out of date. So, here are some news for you MF:

IT CAN'T BE DONE!

There I said it :rolleyes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X