• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Most Football fans are not homophobic, says Study."

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    90 something percent of those who responded (fans) indicated that they didn't care about the players sexuality, only their skill. However, more or less the same percentage then went on to say that they did not feel players would be able to 'come out' due to the abuse they were likely to receive from, er, the fans.
    No mystery, that would be the other 10%.

Quite a high proportion, all things considered.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Oh.

Yes. I completely misunderstood.

The irony passed me by at a high altitude.

But now I'm confused.

So are you saying the survey says they aren't homophobic, but in fact they are?

Or shall I just go back to rambling about real ale and coal mines in the Olde Days?
    My title was a bit tulipe. Sorry.

So, these two guys did this online survey about the fact that there are around half a million professional players, none of whom are openly gay. It's obvious that statistically at least some of them must be gayers. Sad that the game/fans/agents etc seem to strongly oppose homosexuality in players.

90 something percent of those who responded (fans) indicated that they didn't care about the players sexuality, only their skill. However, more or less the same percentage then went on to say that they did not feel players would be able to 'come out' due to the abuse they were likely to receive from, er, the fans.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I for one have been called far worse in the forces than I've ever heard someone called at a football game.
    Yeah............but you are a Hun....................and an ex-skate!!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It's 1 in 10 in the general population. So that makes at least two players in every match who like a little 'hide the sausage in the pooky jar', and at least 1 or 2 of the posters in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I assume it means celebrating the fact that it's so accepted, rather than celebrating the fact that they're actually gayers.
    Rather than us having to fund a bunch of them to parade through various towns and cities 'celebrating' even though they represent a small percentage of the population?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Just in case you misunderstood, RC. My thread title was clearly a teensy bit ironic.

Oh.

Yes. I completely misunderstood.

The irony passed me by at a high altitude.

But now I'm confused.

So are you saying the survey says they aren't homophobic, but in fact they are?

Or shall I just go back to rambling about real ale and coal mines in the Olde Days?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Accepted ....yes celebrated ..why?

Unless it's a "me me look at me I'm different" type of recognition they seek
    I assume it means celebrating the fact that it's so accepted, rather than celebrating the fact that they're actually gayers.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    football and work towards a future where the visibility of gay and bisexual men in professional football are both accepted and celebrated.
    Accepted ....yes celebrated ..why?

Unless it's a "me me look at me I'm different" type of recognition they seek

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Just in case you misunderstood, RC. My thread title was clearly a teensy bit ironic.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Meanwhile, elsewhere:

The Justin Campaign was founded to demonstrate that ten years after Justin Fashanu’s tragic suicide in 1998, homophobia is still hugely prevalent in the world of professional football.

The Justin Campaign seeks to challenge the stereotypes and misconceptions that exist around gay & bisexual men & women in football and work towards a future where the visibility of gay and bisexual men in professional football are both accepted and celebrated.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    No? What's all that rolling about and squealing in agony like little girls then?
    That's cheating (or football as it's also known).

Playground bullying is a fair definition of how many fans behave.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I think they're called metrosexuals. I don't actually know what that means.
    Nor me. Perhaps it's an anagram.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    No? What's all that rolling about and squealing in agony like little girls then?
    I think they're called metrosexuals. I don't actually know what that means.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    There's nothing to 'get' as far as I can see. I just meant, it's interesting that out of nearly half a million professional players worldwide, none are openly gay.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Justin Fashanu (sp?)

was until he hung himself.

There have also been a few other high profile outings but I cannot recall any of them of top of my head.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X