• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Discuss: 10 reasons why contractors are a waste of time"

Collapse

Guest replied
    Re: it is he, the very same,

I can reveal now that it was MarillionFan who sent us in the article.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

1) Inflated Idea of Worth - They have an inflated idea of their own worth. Although they may have more experience of technical skills, they have less experience of the company’s mix of tools and how they are used.

Quite true, but you use a contractor because no-one tends to have the right technical skill, and in fact because most perms are so blinkered they have no idea about how the business works.

2) No Social Skills - Despite traveling from site to site, many of them have no social skills and don’t fit in with the permanent members of staff

Cant necessarily disagree with that.

3) Don’t Think of Future - They don’t write programmes in a way that they can be easily amended. As they will never have to amend them, this is not a great worry to them.

Worked with me then

4) Bad for Morale - They disrespect the Project Manager in front of the employees who work for him.

Yep. My PM is Crap

5) High Attrition Rates - They are always trying to convince employees to go contract.

Yep. Done that

6) Prima Donnas

Damn you have worked with me

7) Know Alls

"AHHHH! You wrote this about me!

Won’t Help

Oh not me then. I pass on as much knowledge as I can and over the years have developed loads of perms. Fair enough though I persuaded four of em to go contracting.

9) Never Happy

Yep

10) Out the Door

Ah. If only this but were true. I do a days work - a proper days work and if means working late I do it and if means like this weekend were I worked I do it. The Perm mentality is 9-5, wheres my overtime. So you are confused here

Conclusion. Yep I'm a contractor whos damn good, knows how to do it properly, everyone around me is a fool and screw anyone who disagrees.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I do indeed - and very pleasant it is.

One feels that this is a loaded question though.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Gerry,

do you still live in your parents holiday home in Ireland ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Those named DimPrawn shouldn't throw stones.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

NamesFaecesPlaces living up to your name I see. :rolleyes

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

"NFP, what do you mean by "were"?
    Are you the mad recruitment consultant hacker who has been going around terrorising my esteemed professionals."

No, but do tell. It sounds like the makings of an article.

What's the story?

Never been to Kildare Scotspine.

I had better leave the other article of a similar vein called "Its is mainly the Office Duds who Go Contracting" (which was sent in to us) for a few weeks then.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    it is he, the very same,

from his base in darkest kildare, he orchestrates a world wide conspiracy against the humble contractor, all the while cunningly operating under the cover of a supposedly pro-contractor website.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Some of my best friends were agents
    NFP, what do you mean by "were"?
    Are you the mad recruitment consultant hacker who has been going around terrorising my esteemed professionals.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Contractors can sometimes be useful at a site, but too many of them are a waste of time.
    Simple solution: don't use contractors. If the client is so interested in the future, as is claimed, then surely it would be sensible to train and develop permies.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: wrong model

"Gerry you got it wrong -- the way to profit is to have all sides think your on their side, not having them all think your with the others"

Easier said than done Atw - and that would probably lead to a very tame site anyway. I prefer it a bit livelier.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: wrong model

I suggest the "manager" in question doesn't hire any contractors then - easy. Or maybe he is just another cog in the corporate machine with inflated ideas of his/her own self-importance?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    wrong model

> In fact it is usually agents who say that I am an 'agency hater'

Gerry you got it wrong -- the way to profit is to have all sides things your on their side, not having them all think your with the others

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "All Gerry ever seems to have on his site is articles attacking contractors.

Does he actually have any positive ones? "

Most of the articles are positive towards contractors. In fact it is usually agents who say that I am an 'agency hater' which isn't true either. Some of my best friends were agents

Here's one called Ten Really Filthy Tricks that Agencies Play on Contractors - www.itcontractor.com/Arti...hotopage=0

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I see you are in overtime country DP :rollin

Mailman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X