• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Polecats in my garden"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    You sure you're not me? I was about that age too. We were there when there was a military coup and had to have armed guards in the house. The only place we could sleep was in the hallway as there were no windows through which the naughty boys could shoot the white people. I did learn to swim there by walking out into the ocean and getting carried away though
    No, you were obviously down south if you noticed the military coups. Up north is was just arabs and islamists attacking the white folk with machetes; happily our neighbour was an army colonel from the south who was armed up to the teeth. Eventually we all ended up piling belongings, ourselves and his family into his land rover and trailer and driving off to the relative peace of Zaria at high speed.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You could almost be me. I got malaria in Nigeria when I was 2 and survived thanks to there being a well trained military doctor in town. No marburg though. Mother was bitten by a white scorpion and spent two weeks in bed in agony. Father crashed his motorbike into a donkey and smashed up his knee. The donkey walked away.

One day the elephants escaped from the local chief's garden and rampaged through the market causing panic and a few deaths (they didn't really bother to count in those days).

Good fun all round.
    You sure you're not me? I was about that age too. We were there when there was a military coup and had to have armed guards in the house. The only place we could sleep was in the hallway as there were no windows through which the naughty boys could shoot the white people. I did learn to swim there by walking out into the ocean and getting carried away though

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    Wilmslow have you been putting them in your pocket again?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I got bitten by one of those when we lived in Nigeria (hundreds at the bottom of the garden along with crocodiles and other exotica.) It gave me Green Money Disease according to my parents but I'm not too sure about that as its also known as Marburg disease and is similar to Ebola (also got Malaria while out there.)
    You could almost be me. I got malaria in Nigeria when I was 2 and survived thanks to there being a well trained military doctor in town. No marburg though. Mother was bitten by a white scorpion and spent two weeks in bed in agony. Father crashed his motorbike into a donkey and smashed up his knee. The donkey walked away.

One day the elephants escaped from the local chief's garden and rampaged through the market causing panic and a few deaths (they didn't really bother to count in those days).

Good fun all round.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Remember staying in the Wankie National Park in Rhodesia once with lions at the bottom of the garden and we once had a looney wild one roaming the streets when living in Illiondale (RSA.) While living there a group of us used to go out after school catching Rinkhals to sell to the local snake farm for their venom. One ever lasting image is of walking home and all the Meercats watching you as you went past. In the dusk it can be a bit off-putting.

Fantastic. please tell us more

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Wilmslow!!!

[ Canned Laughter... ]

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Possums, parrots and kookaburras.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Remember staying in the Wankie National Park in Rhodesia once with lions at the bottom of the garden and we once had a looney wild one roaming the streets when living in Illiondale (RSA.) While living there a group of us used to go out after school catching Rinkhals to sell to the local snake farm for their venom. One ever lasting image is of walking home and all the Meercats watching you as you went past. In the dusk it can be a bit off-putting.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I got bitten by one of those when we lived in Nigeria (hundreds at the bottom of the garden along with crocodiles and other exotica.) It gave me Green Money Disease according to my parents but I'm not too sure about that as its also known as Marburg disease and is similar to Ebola (also got Malaria while out there.)

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    there-bird-prey-eating-pidgeon-my-back-garden

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    One of the bastards bit me when I was two; it stole my banana. Maybe I'm immune to Marburg.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    There's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier mooching around my back garden.

Oh, wait... he's mine!

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I liked their version of "John I'm Only Dancing".

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I've got dead frogs in my garden ....

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Got frogs in my garden, thats it. Plenty spiders.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X