• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another legal question"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I forgot about that. if they're clued they could add him to the agency black list. Nasty.
    They'd have to go via the agency, which might cause a legal headache if they leave a data trail. Of course, they may be aware of this thread, in which case they can just send me £100 and I'll fix it.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I don't know his name so have no idea if he's on the blacklist or greylist, but I do a discounted rate for multiple services.
    I forgot about that. if they're clued they could add him to the agency black list. Nasty.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Let me guess, for another £100 you'll take his name off the blacklist that he is undoubtedly on now?
    I don't know his name so have no idea if he's on the blacklist or greylist, but I do a discounted rate for multiple services.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    How is your plan B going
    I have a number of satisfied customers already.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Ignore the miserable cretins on this thread. You are right to feel aggrieved, both morally and legally. I have professional experience in this field, so if you send me £100, I can give a more detailed analysis that will guide you to the legally correct outcome.
    How is your plan B going

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Ignore the miserable cretins on this thread. You are right to feel aggrieved, both morally and legally. I have professional experience in this field, so if you send me £100, I can give a more detailed analysis that will guide you to the legally correct outcome.
    Let me guess, for another £100 you'll take his name off the blacklist that he is undoubtedly on now?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by firehawk View Post
    ...snip...
    seriously? is this misuse? ...more snippage...
    Why don't you

1) use google
    2) read the law (opsi is the site you need)
    3) decide if you need to consult a lawyer.
    4) consult a lawyer, get a proper opinion
    5) stop getting the tulips when you ask a vague, rambling question and posters try and get some more information.

?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    OK I reckon I can answer this one. No it isn't misuse, and what is more you have an excellent case for huge damages* accruing from a range of causes. Most decent lawyers would be happy to take up your case for free just to add prestige to their professional standing. Please print off this thread and go to the nearest solicitors office immediately.

*I am not a lawyer
    But your having a laugh

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I made a thread a few weeks ago about a client of mine whom I left as they were preventing me for doing certain jobs even though I was assigned them.

I own the copyright to the code I used. this was backed up by asking a question to a legal representative as well as here and also the BCS backs me up.

I blocked FTP access to the server for security measures and then over the past few weeks found out that they got someone else in to redevelop the code/website again (the stuff I was doing) and is now being hosted elsewhere.

interesting, the MD also insulted me before I left them because of her attitude and the things she said and completely misunderstood and misjudged something - thats why I left.

I then raised an invoice for transferring ownership. just got an email from her saying she isn't going to pay and said that I apperently commited a crime under the computer misuse act because I blocked access to the FTP *rolls eyes*

seriously? is this misuse? I don't think so at all. she didnt even request for the access to be enabled when she needed access to it at all..... so she was not co-operating at all!
    if she requested it, then it would have been allowed access but at the same time, she did overreact on something and or misunderstood something to cause her to insult/offend me (sending an outlook meeting request) - but also, I own the copyright of the code.

so, what should I do and what can be done here?
    OK I reckon I can answer this one. No it isn't misuse, and what is more you have an excellent case for huge damages* accruing from a range of causes. Most decent lawyers would be happy to take up your case for free just to add prestige to their professional standing. Please print off this thread and go to the nearest solicitors office immediately.

*I am not a lawyer

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Your question isn't clear...

If it relates to IP of code developed, did you write it on T&M or Fixed Price - if the former I'd say you shouldn't morally have IP over the code (whether someone's agreed to it legally is a different matter).

If your question is about being insulted, or a petty argument about server config / hardening - I don't see what you're going on about...move on...they're small minded, get over it, onwards and upwards!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    That's precisely the problem. You haven't explained the situation properly, only waffled on about being insulted and offended. You've been deliberately vague which would lead me to believe you're missing out a lot of the story to make it sound more convincing.
    To be fair. If he thinks he's been insulted by the client that's nothing to what will happen on here!

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    no logical and rationale explanation
    That's precisely the problem. You haven't explained the situation properly, only waffled on about being insulted and offended. You've been deliberately vague which would lead me to believe you're missing out a lot of the story to make it sound more convincing.

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    If you have a legal question, ask an IPR lawyer. The first thing they'll say is send us the contract you worked under. Presuming it then has IPR clauses that quite clearly spell out that your company (assuming you were engaged through a LtdCo.??) owns the IPR in any Developed Works and therefore grants them a Licence to use, then you have a leg to stand on.
    If you were taken through an Agency contract and paid a daily/hourly rate, no legs are left to stand on. So give it up.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    you have not understood. always jumping to conclusions on this forum with no logical and rationale explanation.

nevermind.
    So, the half a dozen posters who have replied have independently mis-understood or you have not explained yourself clearly enough? Which is more likely?

Apologies, but your posts in this thread seem to be displaying a victim mentality and those who do not agree with you or your view point are being accused of mis-understanding.

As AP has already said, re-assess the situation once you have stripped it of emotion and your next steps will be much clearer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X