• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leaving without notice"

Collapse

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    You smooth-talking devil JW

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
    Let me destroy you IR35 - I want to completely wipe you from this board - I want to squash you, pulverise you, mash you. Got a knob of butter ?
    But remember butter may contain salt. You'd best use KY jelly....

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Let me destroy you IR35 - I want to completely wipe you from this board - I want to squash you, pulverise you, mash you. Got a knob of butter ?

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky
    the aim of every company is to generate more profit than anyone else - resources are finite - therefore so is wealth
    Three wrong statements in a row - you continue to have some very strange ideas when it comes to economics, though to be fair I've gathered you don't mean everything you say on these boards.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Evil
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    In that case quit
    I think that's what he is saying isn't it? Of course, as Tarzan would say, you shouldn't let go of one vine, until the next is firmly in your hands.

As an aside, I was offered a contract like this about a year ago. I told the agency that this was not enforceable as it made no allowance for me to terminate my employment in any way other than seeing out the contract, and as such was not enforceable under law. I gave them some bollocks about being an effective restriction of trade, (bluster admittedly) it worked and they came back with a revised offer of two weeks to me, versus one month to them.

Johnny - why not try the same?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnnyLow
    There are no project managers, and it is not a client I would work for in the future.
    In that case quit

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyLow
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    You didn't want the role but were froced at knifepoint to sign the contract, is that it? You're in a role you don't like and you'll leave as soon as you can, is that with or without serving a notice period? What?
    I accepted a dodgy contract with no notice period specified for myself at all, but one day notice for the client and the agency for the first month. As far as I'm concerned they have set themselves up for a walk out with that one. Otherwise I would serve the notice period specified.

(No knife, but there is a thing called rent that needs to be paid.)

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyLow
    replied
    So you would be happy never to be considered for work by the client, or by any of your project managers in the event that they move?
    There are no project managers, and it is not a client I would work for in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    What's you pint here?

I got fed a whole lot of lies and suckered into a dodgy Computer People contract at a tulipty rate, with a one day notice period for the client, and no clause allowing for me to give notice.

I took it cause I needed the cash, but I will be out the door in a second when something better (i.e. pretty much anything) comes up.

I am an ethical guy, but as far as I'm concerned I am not obligated to behave ethically towards a company or individual who has not paid me the same courtesy.

Loyalty is a two way street.
    You didn't want the role but were froced at knifepoint to sign the contract, is that it? You're in a role you don't like and you'll leave as soon as you can, is that with or without serving a notice period? What?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I got fed a whole lot of lies and suckered into a dodgy Computer People contract at a tulipty rate, with a one day notice period for the client, and no clause allowing for me to give notice.

I took it cause I needed the cash, but I will be out the door in a second when something better (i.e. pretty much anything) comes up.

I am an ethical guy, but as far as I'm concerned I am not obligated to behave ethically towards a company or individual who has not paid me the same courtesy.

So you would be happy never to be considered for work by the client, or by any of your project managers in the event that they move?

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyLow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny
    Shall I go round the houses, or tell it to you straight?

Clearly you're unfamiliar with the latter otherwise you'd know what it meant.
    There you go, unable to answer a straightforward question. So really you are a "talk the talk" type

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied

Is that what they call obfuscation?

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Leave it Darren, he's not worth it.....

For somebody who wants to tell it straight, you're making a bit of a song and dance about going round the houses to tell him, don't you know.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    And what does that mean?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    The best way to influence someone is to tell it to them straight..
    And what does that mean?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X