• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Take home pay

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Take home pay"

Collapse

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Theonenonly View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice....

Since this is my first time conrecting I realised it was the Employers NI that was the missing money, it wasnt explained to me at the time but now I know for the future.

As far as £13.30ph being a tulip rate, I just came from a £9.50ph job so its quite a step up for me lol.

I have no qualifications AT ALL the only thing I have is some experience doing desktop support for BT on my CV which allows me to apply for other desktop support and admin roles.

Currently I am doing a 6 month contract in a manufacturing firm and at best the only technical thing i am really doing is SQL DB changes and the odd network patching, the rest of the work is slapping people for doing something wrong / restoring files from backups and basic admin paper work......so the rate I am on is good for me. (All the other lads i used to work with at BT before we were made redundant are on £11ph, one is happy on £9)

As far as training goes and trying to budget, I dont plan on doing this long term.... The idea 5 year ago was to get a foot into BT and get them to invest in us but it just never happened and then I got thrown out on my arse.

So the plan now is to contract till i find a perm job, however perm jobs around here are around the £10ph mark, but they do include holiday pay sick pay and what not.... and if I can get somewhere that will invest in me I can move forward do my training there and move up in the world and then I can drive my merc and smoke cubans and be a prick in general

Again thanks for all your help and I think I will be sticking around these forums just to see how the other half live
    I think fair play to you for going the contracting route, doesn't matter if your rate is low to start off and if you are looking to go back to perm it's probably good that your not getting mega bucks as you'll be disappointed when you go back to permiedom, if you not very busy it may be worth skilling up on DBA/Network stuff as it will be more lucrative in the long run, perm or contract

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I'm not really better off now, went perm in May but given notice yesterday along with everyone else.

One thing in my favour, at least I was well prepared to deal with the situation which is more than can be said for every other poor sod around me.
    employers NI or perhaps the tax calc is wrong, are you sure you are not on a cumulaive tax code?

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    AFF
    The standard on there is poor. Better than CL sure, but still poor.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    I'll open up the Xeno livestream later tonight.

AFF

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    Ooh err, I spy a future top poster...

Troll

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Careful
    Ooh err, I spy a future top poster...

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Be carefull what you wish for.
    Careful

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    I'll open up the Xeno livestream later tonight.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    You can watch if you like.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    iPhone. We iPhoners have sex more.
    Thanks to Grindr.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Theonenonly View Post
    lol you lot are mad.....

Btw I stole that quote for my sig I hope you dont mind lol
    Be carefull what you wish for.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    FTFY
    You can watch if you like.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What? At the bottom of the stairs?
    I see what you did there.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    iPhone. We iPhoners have sex more on our own.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    iPhone. We iPhoners have sex more.
    WHS

Sometimes even with other people

Leave a comment:

Working...
X