• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Shocking interview

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Shocking interview"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    2 points
    1. A sale is a sale, even if the customer has been a bit of an arse
    2. If the client can't even organise something as simple as an interview then you know the project is going to be a mess.... with that in mind it should be pretty straight forward once in there to secure multiple extensions
    absolutely - confuscious once nearly said -'the person who will subsidise your lifestyle, is always right'

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So lets see it from his side...

I was recently put forward for a BA role at Clientco.

We agreed an interview and I changed my plans to ensure I was ready. Then the next day, the agent phoned back to say the client couldn't make that time and I could change. So I agreed to a new date and changed by plans.

Unbelievably they phoned back again and cancelled the slot, asking me to make another day & time. I was pretty narked so agreed telling the agent this was not on. Lo and behold, they cancelled again.

Anyway I'm at work when the phone goes and it's the client having a go at me telling me I was supposed to be on a call. Frankly if they can't even organize a simple phone interview I'm not interested. So when I told him he'd messed me about he got all indignant, so I told him not to waste my time, called him a tosser and put the phone down on him.

2 points
    1. A sale is a sale, even if the customer has been a bit of an arse
    2. If the client can't even organise something as simple as an interview then you know the project is going to be a mess.... with that in mind it should be pretty straight forward once in there to secure multiple extensions

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    He's as sure as the crack between his legs!
    why the heck do you always have to lower the tone ?

you know thats my job

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    You talk girlie and you do empathy - you sure you're a male?
    He's as sure as the crack between his legs!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I can do the whole empathy thing,
    You talk girlie and you do empathy - you sure you're a male?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Well that's up to you CH. I don't disagree that the bloke was messed around, but it's how you conduct yourself that counts. And calling someone a tosser and a ****** is not at all professional IMVHO.
    I wouldn't be so diplomatic. Never harmed my chances yet calling someone a tosser who deserved it.

Been blacklisted by so many agencies I've lost count but they always seem to call back within two weeks or so.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Yep. I once took out an Indian development team of 12 people for a meal. I'd flown into the US from the UK where the onshore team had delivered my project and so I took them out as a thank you.

They complained that their senior management didn't know what they were doing and so I replied 'You know your problem, too many chiefs and not enough Indians....' slight pause '...actually I think I might have that wrong!'
    Ever thought about a role with the UN?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Aaaah, that's a nice bedtime story. Got any more?
    Yep. I once took out an Indian development team of 12 people for a meal. I'd flown into the US from the UK where the onshore team had delivered my project and so I took them out as a thank you.

They complained that their senior management didn't know what they were doing and so I replied 'You know your problem, too many chiefs and not enough Indians....' slight pause '...actually I think I might have that wrong!'

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Oh I don't know. I once got pulled into HR for calling someone a f***** w****** and threatening to throw them out a window. I admitted both parts, but said to the second part 'But we were on the ground floor!'
    Aaaah, that's a nice bedtime story. Got any more?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Well that's up to you CH. I don't disagree that the bloke was messed around, but it's how you conduct yourself that counts. And calling someone a tosser and a ****** is not at all professional IMVHO.
    Oh I don't know. I once got pulled into HR for calling someone a f***** w****** and threatening to throw them out a window. I admitted both parts, but said to the second part 'But we were on the ground floor!'

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Have to agree with MF on this one. An interview (or lack of), is a two way street.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    So lets see it from his side...

I was recently put forward for a BA role at Clientco.

We agreed an interview and I changed my plans to ensure I was ready. Then the next day, the agent phoned back to say the client couldn't make that time and I could change. So I agreed to a new date and changed by plans.

Unbelievably they phoned back again and cancelled the slot, asking me to make another day & time. I was pretty narked so agreed telling the agent this was not on. Lo and behold, they cancelled again.

Anyway I'm at work when the phone goes and it's the client having a go at me telling me I was supposed to be on a call. Frankly if they can't even organize a simple phone interview I'm not interested. So when I told him he'd messed me about he got all indignant, so I told him not to waste my time, called him a tosser and put the phone down on him.

Have to agree with MF on this one. An interview (or lack of), is a two way street.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Suityou. You can tell your mate if he ever messes me about again or phones me up whining when I'm having a Thai oil massage I'll come up to his office and make sure he spends the next six months on invalidity watching Jeremy Kyle!

Got that!
    Ooh - when are you on?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Suityou. You can tell your mate if he ever messes me about again or phones me up whining when I'm having a Thai oil massage I'll come up to his office and make sure he spends the next six months on invalidity watching Jeremy Kyle!

Got that!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Makes a bit of sense. OP was a bit unclear I thought.
    Couldn't have been that unclear if MF got the gist of it.

I guess I was dragged up differently. And IIRC MF has a longstanding track record of effective conflict resolution

I can do the whole empathy thing, and if it was me being messed around and Clientco called me up and I wasn't expecting it I would politely state I wasn't expecting an interview at that time, when I was expecting it, and see if we could rearrange.

Can you imagine hiring this guy if every time he got peed off he went around insulting people?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X