• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Trust funds - help

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trust funds - help"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Yes , but who holds the bond/fund/account ? (i.e. who is the trustee) the executor of the the will, or the childs parent/guardian.
    With the governments scheme, its the parent/guardian.

I see your point with that as executor, sorry.

Sounds like the same problem I'd have with my sister. She wouldn't be able to not touch one of the kids monies.

There are plenty of free 1/2 hour legal consultations you can try. Heres one.

Guardian, How to Appoint, Setup a Childrens Trust Fund and Protect Your Family

and phone up the Yorkshire Bank to check the legal situation. If you can manage them in bonds then you can keep a direct eye on it and always ensure you get the best deals.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Sheesh. Why is this so difficult?

I think the Government's Child Trust fund is the most economical option. The money belongs to the child but they cannot spend it until they turn 18.

The Government scheme is not available though to children born before 1st September 2002.

If that is not an option then I think that you should see a solicitor who can draw up a trust deed. The trustees can be you, your missus, the executor of the will, anyone, but the solicitor can explain the legal implications of undertaking that role, I can't.

The executor of the will then transfers the cash / investments / doll collection / whatever to the trustees and they have to do with it what the trust deed says they must do.*

* I am not qualified to give this advice.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    And a final point. And frankly I don't know why I'm ******* bothering.

If you are concerned that because of the amount (say 3k) is a 'life' changing amount that the parents or kids may abscond/waste. Effectively, you are the legal guardian if the money. A bond/fund etc will not transfer until they are (16/18 would need to check). By opening it yourself you hold it in trust until said time, therefore it cannot be usurped by others.
    Yes , but who holds the bond/fund/account ? (i.e. who is the trustee) the executor of the the will, or the childs parent/guardian.
    With the governments scheme, its the parent/guardian.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

If you are concerned that because of the amount (say 3k) is a 'life' changing amount that the parents or kids may abscond/waste. Effectively, you are the legal guardian if the money. A bond/fund etc will not transfer until they are (16/18 would need to check). By opening it yourself you hold it in trust until said time, therefore it cannot be usurped by others.
    I think you have been very helpful.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    MF trying to help?

Methinks it was more along the lines of and
    I've only placed a few of my own threads and posts recently on where to invest money for kids. It's a very important decision.

Nothing worse than those who don't listen though.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Chaps, please. Desist.

MF was trying to help. Rare occurence that it is.
    EO you are trying to do the right thing, and credit the posters in general with the sense to give a responsible answer (not always going to work).

Feel the love
    MF trying to help?

Methinks it was more along the lines of and

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Chaps, please. Desist.

MF was trying to help. Rare occurence that it is.
    EO you are trying to do the right thing, and credit the posters in general with the sense to give a responsible answer (not always going to work).

Feel the love

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    And EO you have been given a decent response.

Again, you really are an insufferable twat.

A longterm bond would be best. Failing that instruct an IFA. That would be the best thing you could do!!!
    shut it gobtulipe. stay out of my threads you boring cnt

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Honestly, for 3K a bond is a reasonable idea. Alternatively, the interest rates are going to rocket at some point, how about a long term savings account such as ING?
    my question isnt about the return, its about the nature of a trust fund. What the heck is one ?

do I need to go the full legal route, or is there an informal way

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    And EO you have been given a decent response.

Again, you really are an insufferable twat.

A longterm bond would be best. Failing that instruct an IFA. That would be the best thing you could do!!!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I sincerely hope you are never left in charge of kids, a project, a house, or matches.
    Your levels of understanding, empathy or sympathy are close to zero.

Please keep it shut from now on.

To the parents of the kids I am discussing, 3,6 or 9k is an absolute fortune. The temptation for them to rip it off would be almost irresistable. My objective is to keep it intact for 10 years, till they are 18. So do I do it legally , or informally.

Please, MF, keep it shut from now on.

Honestly, for 3K a bond is a reasonable idea. Alternatively, the interest rates are going to rocket at some point, how about a long term savings account such as ING?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    You really are taking the piss aren't you. 3k each!!

Stick it in a bond for goodness sake.
    I sincerely hope you are never left in charge of kids, a project, a house, or matches.
    Your levels of understanding, empathy or sympathy are close to zero.

Please keep it shut from now on.

To the parents of the kids I am discussing, 3,6 or 9k is an absolute fortune. The temptation for them to rip it off would be almost irresistable. My objective is to keep it intact for 10 years, till they are 18. So do I do it legally , or informally.

Please, MF, keep it shut from now on.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    thanks Gonzo.
    my next problem, for a small amount, 3k per kid, do I do it the legal way

or do I do it the informal way

It is hardly worth it for that amount. I would just give them the money now and have done with it.

EDIT: For that amount, MF's original response is the best one that you have had.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 2 October 2010, 21:40.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Nice one Gonzo.

<snip>
    Oi! Keep me out of of your petty squabbles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X