• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IB permies....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IB permies...."

Collapse

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I forgot about that one! The highest-billing contractor I have ever come across was a testicle
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    I'm a permie at an IB but hardly smug. I don't drive a BMW or an Audi, instead it's a 10 year old Saxo with a rattling exhaust. How I long to be a smug contractor once again.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Who would even use one of those shoe shine stations out in public anyway? (different thread I think!)
    I found it easier than using the one that used to come to the office.

Not any more though. Paying someone to do something that you could easily do yourself is an alien concept where I am living now.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Is it just me or are people in IB this smug, pleased with themselves and stuck up everywhere?
    Yes.

Just smile and invoice... smile and invoice...
    Correct.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    No it's not just you. Yes they are.

Just send a big invoice.
    WMS

Ok am invoicing now! End of September

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Yep, and testers earning even more than developers is so deeply wrong that I can only reconcile it with my conscience by sending a large invoice.
    I forgot about that one! The highest-billing contractor I have ever come across was a test manager.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    A friday afternoon??? i.e. the exact point in the week when you no longer need shiny shoes? Every now and again you get little warning signs that a company has gone mad.

Mich is right. Contractors in banks getting paid more than everyone other than the directors and traders (indeed more than the crapper traders) is top secret and should never be mentioned for fear of queering the pitch. Just like how most senior software developers earn more than their project managers.
    Yep, and testers earning even more than developers is so deeply wrong that I can only reconcile it with my conscience by sending a large invoice.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    The shoe shine guy will be around shortly... They have one that comes around the office on a Friday afternoon
    A friday afternoon??? i.e. the exact point in the week when you no longer need shiny shoes? Every now and again you get little warning signs that a company has gone mad.

Mich is right. Contractors in banks getting paid more than everyone other than the directors and traders (indeed more than the crapper traders) is top secret and should never be mentioned for fear of queering the pitch. Just like how most senior software developers earn more than their project managers.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    This is what gets me - if only they knew
    NEVER let them know; if IB permies believe they have it so much better than you, keep it that way. Let them know how much you invoice and they'll start scheming against you.

Keep on invoicing!

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Just send a big invoice.
    This is what gets me - if only they knew

The shoe shine guy will be around shortly... They have one that comes around the office on a Friday afternoon

Who would even use one of those shoe shine stations out in public anyway? (different thread I think!)

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Is it just me or are people in IB this smug, pleased with themselves and stuck up everywhere?

You know those people who you pull over for in a road where there's not enough room for 2 cars to pass - and instead of saying thanks (or even acknowledging) they just drive past as though you're the guy doing their shoe shine...

It just makes me want to scream "get over yourself dear I'm earning more than you!"

I work in IB and it's not all of them - you do get some who are super smug, but then you get some everywhere. Not many likeable permies in IB though - I'll concede that.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    No I think it's just Volvo and BMW drivers.
    Over here in Holland, it´s VW and Audi drivers who are the complete s.

A few years ago, it was BMWs, but they seem to have swapped them for Audis.

As for Volvos; the ones that really get on my tit are the ones with an ichthus symbol on the back. Apparently their Dutch Reformed Calvinist God (no, he's not the same one as all the others; he's white, Dutch and very right winged) has given them license to treat every other road user like tulip.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    No it's not just you. Yes they are.

Just send a big invoice.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

You know those people who you pull over for in a road where there's not enough room for 2 cars to pass - and instead of saying thanks (or even acknowledging) they just drive past as though you're the guy doing their shoe shine...

It just makes me want to scream "get over yourself dear I'm earning more than you!"

No I think it's just Volvo and BMW drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    started a topic IB permies....

IB permies....

Working...
X