• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What Car?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What Car?"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    A guy at work bought an Alfa, I told him not to after hearing so many bad stories about them over the years, many being new engines needed. Within 2 weeks the brakes started making annoying noises, then it started pulling to the left. At the moment he's getting random warning lights.

The tale of the poster who couldn't get his money back kind of makes sense. I've had 2 Jap cars and the customer service has been exceptional (no arguments, no assuming you are taking the proverbial). Why is that? Because they don't spend all their time dealing with complaints about poor reliability, so when the customer isn't satisfied it's so rare they really want to do something about it. If you know the product is sh1te then the only ways not to go bankrupt is either improve it or pretend it isn't a problem and treat the customer like a nuisance.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    can you switch the traction controll off completely?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post

As long as you are not a crude fool, you can drive a powerfull RWD slowly in on snow.
    I've been doing that with mine recently (and used to with the AMG.) Today it snowed like tulip in the afternoon so I thought I'd bugger off early so I wouldn't have to spend another few hours doing Citroen 2CV speeds on the motorway. The town roads were just pack ice with snow on top and the car would go all over the place but not once did the wheels spin, turn off the traction control. The motorway in places was a bit (lot) snowy but still managed speeds of 150+ so it only took a couple of hours. The only problems were when just round the corner from home where the snow is very deep so the car was bottoming out and the spoiler acting as a snow plough. One thing I don't do is put it in 'S' mode like last week as that was rather scary and don't kick down 2 gears as the back end just decides to not exist anymore...

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    of course if you opt for this one Brabus - BRABUS Supercars you might have to restrain yourself a bit in snowy conditions

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    you can see here Brabus - Tuning fr Mercedes-Benz that you only get 462 bhp - should not be unmanageble.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    How would an E-Class Brabus handle in the snow?

Would I have to have grown up in Finland, driving Dad's car around on ice from 5 years old, to be able to get to the shops today?
    I don't know.

Only if Brabus had reprogrammed the traction control system and enabled it to be complete switched off.

As long as you are not a crude fool, you can drive a powerfull RWD slowly in on snow.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    And if you want to become so, you better not spend your monies on overpowered cars.
    They are fun though.
    How would an E-Class Brabus handle in the snow?

Would I have to have grown up in Finland, driving Dad's car around on ice from 5 years old, to be able to get to the shops today?

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    I'm not as rich as Dimprawn yet!
    And if you want to become so, you better not spend your monies on overpowered cars.
    They are fun though.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    With a discrete Brabus logo, I hope
    I'm not as rich as Dimprawn yet!

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    The one day of the year that everything worked and the roads were dry and quiet it was a fabulous car. The other 364 days were just awful.

I now own a boring, staid, very conservative Benz. It works.
    With a discrete Brabus logo, I hope

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    They do seem to be stereopypically Italian.

If you want the luxury treatment, buy and old Ferrari. Proper tulipe.
    The one day of the year that everything worked and the roads were dry and quiet it was a fabulous car. The other 364 days were just awful.

I now own a boring, staid, very conservative Benz. It works.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    I had an Alfa 166 for a while. Black, with black leather Momo interior. Everything about it was almost erotically beautiful. It was tulipe though.
    They do seem to be stereopypically Italian.

If you want the luxury treatment, buy and old Ferrari. Proper tulipe.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It makes a lot more sense if you emphasise the words "Alfa's of old"

Alfa Romeo Alfetta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alfa Romeo Sprint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alfa Romeo Spider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All very pretty cars though. There was one of these I used to pass every day on my way to school, I always liked the look of it.

Alfa Romeo 105/115 Series Coupés - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I had an Alfa 166 for a while. Black, with black leather Momo interior. Everything about it was almost erotically beautiful. It was tulipe though.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    VW Passat Diesel Estate, ideal car for staying under the radar as a contractor in the staff car park, cramming in several rugrats and also filling the boot full of crap from the weekly "big shop".. plus the car is built well and I've had several hired ones that I was very impressed with..
    You can fit a lot of tapes in the boot too. Ask Milan.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    VW Passat Diesel Estate, ideal car for staying under the radar as a contractor in the staff car park, cramming in several rugrats and also filling the boot full of crap from the weekly "big shop".. plus the car is built well and I've had several hired ones that I was very impressed with..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X