• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Privatisation has been so good for Briton's railways..."

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    It's not privatisation that failed the railways, it was the public work force they inherited.

My train is away 2 minutes early every morning, I used to pick up a complaints form every morning at the next station. "Train left early, late is excusable, early is incompetence"

Each time I got reply back, "we will raise this at the next monthly staff meeting", can you not just get them told to get their jobs done correctly.
    Or change the timetable

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    It's not privatisation that failed the railways, it was the public work force they inherited.

My train is away 2 minutes early every morning, I used to pick up a complaints form every morning at the next station. "Train left early, late is excusable, early is incompetence"

Each time I got reply back, "we will raise this at the next monthly staff meeting", can you not just get them told to get their jobs done correctly.
    Last edited by minestrone; 19 September 2010, 19:32.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    With capacity utilisation like that, it is no wonder how the Bob's are out competing the west.
    Yeah, I'd like to know who built their railways.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That would be just like Soviet short range (few hours) trains then

Might as well do this next -

With capacity utilisation like that, it is no wonder how the Bob's are out competing the west.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Or some flea infested backwater close to London (yeah okay, Reading) that you need find transport from.
    Slough

as in Slough of despond

This miry Slough is such a place as cannot be mended; it is the descent whither the scum and filth that attends conviction for sin doth continually run, and therefore is it called the Slough of Despond: for still as the sinner is awakened about his lost condition, there ariseth in his soul many fears, and doubts, and discouraging apprehensions, which all of them get together, and settle in this place; and this is the reason of the badness of this ground.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    If O'Leary was running railways then train to "London" would actually terminate at Reading ...

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    What's the equivalent of the mile high club for train travel?
    The 'Bench Under'?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    If O'Leary was running railways then train to "London" would actually terminate at Reading ...
    Or some flea infested backwater close to London (yeah okay, Reading) that you need find transport from.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    To be fair, buses don't have toilets, and bus journeys can often take an hour.
    The difference with a bus is they can stop and let you out if you really have to go.
    Trains can be delayed, or stuck on tracks in the middle of nowhere, and they wont let you out if you're not at a station and its not safe.

This will happen to Southern,... there will be a cow on the tracks or something, the train will be stranded for 2 hours, and a few dozen people will wet themselves. I really dont think they've thought this one through properly.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    More's the pity O'Leary isn't running the railways. The conditions could hardly be worse (outside of rip-off class), but the price could do with his touch.

Code:
    And go from this:

Cheap        Expensive
    Comfortable        
    Uncomfortable                           X

To this:

Cheap        Expensive
    Comfortable        
    Uncomfortable             X
    What would an O'Leary railway be like? One bag per customer? Saddle seats? A third class (probably a good idea, why was it taken away?). Trains might run on time too (I gather his airline has the best on-time record).

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    That would be just like Soviet short range (few hours) trains then

Might as well do this next -

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    An O'Leary moment - except this one doesn't seem to be a joke. I really hope they refurbish their trains to include easily washable floors and upholstery
    And make sure their stations have open and functioning toilet facilities.

To be fair, buses don't have toilets, and bus journeys can often take an hour.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    An O'Leary moment - except this one doesn't seem to be a joke. I really hope they refurbish their trains to include easily washable floors and upholstery
    What's the equivalent of the mile high club for train travel?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X