• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would it bother you if someone burnt your national flag?"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    The jobless masses will arise!
    ...and go down the social to pick up their dole before drinking it all away in a tulipe pub.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Yes, it is great to see that there has been a huge tailing-off of sectarian pyromania. But what will fill the void I wonder?

New class hatred.

The jobless masses will arise!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Some don't understand the symbolism, and of those that do I'd wager, on the basis of the last 30-odd years that I've been to bonfire nights, that about 0% of people in Britain really want to set fire to any old catholic who happens to be watching the fireworks.
    Yes, it is great to see that there has been a huge tailing-off of sectarian pyromania. But what will fill the void I wonder?

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Well said. And I'm not even a Scotchman.
    Oh... What do you drink then?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by markinbrussels View Post
    The people who burn your British flag also would burn YOU if they could.

bla bla

Am I the only one who is bothered by someone wanting to burn ME?
    Yes, because you are the only one assuming that if someone burns a symbol they want to burn a person. In Britain, every year, there is a ritual burning of a puppet of a chap called Guy Fawkes, a catholic who attempted to blow up the houses of parliament and was burnt at the stake for doing so. Up until quite recently not only Guy Fawkes puppets were burt, but also puppets of the pope, to represent catholicism. Not really a very nice thought at all, and happily the whole thing seems to have lost a lot of that sectarian symbolism, but I ask you this; does the burning of a puppet mean that the millions of British people who celebrate November 5th actually want to grab the nearest catholic and set fire to him? Were they about to do that when they burnt pope figures on the bonfire, right up until the first half of the 20th century? No, it doesn't. They are burning a symbol. Some don't understand the symbolism, and of those that do I'd wager, on the basis of the last 30-odd years that I've been to bonfire nights, that about 0% of people in Britain really want to set fire to any old catholic who happens to be watching the fireworks.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I can't speak for other countries in the UK but people from Scotland have enormous pride in their country. The belief is visible and strong for everybody to see, ask our neighbours. To say we don't have any pride in our country because of what someone is willing to do to a flag is shortsighted and dangerous.
    Well said. And I'm not even a Scotchman.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by markinbrussels View Post
    I am more bothered by the fact that nobody has yet managed it, you boneheaded racist clown!

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Yeah no flags man. no nationalism, give peace a chance man!
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one
    alternatively

Kumbaya Diplomacy

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
    Any flag is a piece of material thats true, but of course it represents UK citizens.

Of course I'm not from the UK originaly so I know UK citizens don't believe in anything or have any pride in their county like the rest of the world.
    I can't speak for other countries in the UK but people from Scotland have enormous pride in their country. The belief is visible and strong for everybody to see, ask our neighbours. To say we don't have any pride in our country because of what someone is willing to do to a flag is shortsighted and dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• markinbrussels
    replied
    Of course I'm not from the UK originaly so I know UK citizens don't believe in anything or have any pride in their county like the rest of the world.
    They are a bunch of cynics corrupted by celebrity BS and easy credit.

Leave a comment:

• markinbrussels
    replied
    The people who burn your British flag also would burn YOU if they could.

Look at this picture: if you were American, would you ask these guys to sit and discuss our differences?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Burning flags is ok, free speech and all that.

But if anyone so much as gives a wrong look at my squirrels

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Any flag is a piece of material thats true, but of course it represents UK citizens.
    We don't pledge allegiance to the flag like the US, if we pledge allegiance to anything then it's the Queen.
    http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwic...ipCeremony.htm

So if you want to upset us burn the actual Queen.

Even that would upset the supporters who want the UK to be a republic.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 10 September 2010, 22:45.

Leave a comment:

• Green Mango
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    No it's just a piece of material.

Green hills constantly pelted by horizontal rain, the smell of spring once it comes, the banter of my peers and a pride that is commonly shared, this is what I represent and what I see from others as I travel even from those out here in Germany. I don't need a piece of material to let my German colleagues know who I am for that I only need open my mouth! The smile that is returned lets me see all I need to know

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    It's symbolic of what you represent !
    No it's just a piece of material.

Green hills constantly pelted by horizontal rain, the smell of spring once it comes, the banter of my peers and a pride that is commonly shared, this is what I represent and what I see from others as I travel even from those out here in Germany. I don't need a piece of material to let my German colleagues know who I am for that I only need open my mouth! The smile that is returned lets me see all I need to know

Leave a comment:

Working...
X