• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Masters Degrees

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Masters Degrees"

Collapse

• zeitghost
    replied
    Haven't you heard that one before?

While Freddy & co were busy recording Day at the Race/Night at the Opera or whatever, the Sex Pistols were in the same building recording one of their dystopian epics.

As Freddy was wandering down the corridor, he met Sid/Johny/whoever who came out with the "Still bringing opera to the masses, Freddy?" remark.

Can't remember Freddy's exact reply but it was along the lines of "Doing my best, Mr Vicious"...

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Busy bringing opera to the plebs, as someone once observed...
    What's opera got to do with it?

However I am partial to a bit of opera. Must be my age.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Making a guitar out of a bit of wood from a mantlepiece helped too...
    Naah. It was the warbling fairy wot done it.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I don't fit it and don't get on with anyone.
    But it's not the masters degree that is the cause there, shirley?

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    I have a master degree - a science one at that from a premier league university.

Benefits:

I can tell you ignorant twats how thick you all are with unshakeable confidence and utmost conviction. Well, let's face it, you are numbskulls, aren't you (see, no question mark!)

I am intellectual when I put on my glasses, I don't just look it. I can also boast about being a scientist too.

At a dinner party when I talk utter rubbish over too manny glasses of wine everyone is impressed with my brilliant mind whereas my uneducated counterparts could be teetotal, win Mastermind and be multi-millionaire business tycoons and no one really believes they're intellectually credible just loud mouth show offs out to impress.

You can put down your smug 1st degree only graduate friends by telling them that their time spent at uni was a waste of time because everyone has a first degree these days. Even better, if they got it from a polyversity.

I'm superior.

Disadvantages:

I don't fit it and don't get on with anyone.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I did a 2 yr p/t Masters in Information Security. It was only 2 half days a week for 22 weeks over the year so not too much of a hit in terms of lost revenue.

What it has done though has improved my CV no end and led to better, higher paid contracts. I made the money back through increased fees many times over.

Although I can see a Masters in Reality TV might not have the same effect.

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    I think a Masters Degree is very important, look at what it did for Brian May.

Though I think also having the PHd helped get in the band in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Most of the people on here are Master Debators - and many finished the course - making them complete Master Debators.

Leave a comment:

• mlidl
    replied
    Originally posted by el duder
    i beleive if you have 5/6yrs corporate experience or experience in your chosen field of study, then a masters would be benenficial.
    so what field of study would you choose then, since most of your contracting life has been spent sat in the corner, looking busy

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    i beleive if you have 5/6yrs corporate experience or experience in your chosen field of study, then a masters would be benenficial.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I thought the class system had been abolished...

Sorry, my mistake, that's in India.. england hasn't made it that far yet.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W
    I've never seen anyone benefit from a Masters degree. It always makes me think of someone who just strung another year out of Uni because they couldn't be bothered to haul their lazy student arse out of bed and go and get a job.
    I've seen people benefit, but they must be relevant e.g. an MSc in mobile telecoms including the 2G and 3G signalling architecture. It can be a good way to progress beyond code monkey to architect.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I've never seen anyone benefit from a Masters degree. It always makes me think of someone who just strung another year out of Uni because they couldn't be bothered to haul their lazy student arse out of bed and go and get a job.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    He used to bore us tulipless with what he'd had for lunch, which seemed to consist largely of Sprite...
    really? what did you have today then?

Leave a comment:

• Daywalker
    replied
    Let us return to more important subjects, describe this chick you fancy?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X