• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Pond life

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pond life"

Collapse

• 117MilesToGo
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Well I'm very happy for you. Well done.
    Cheers mate, I knew you'd understand!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by 117MilesToGo View Post
    It wouldn't matter if I did. I'm caught by IR35 and don't pretend otherwise, not even to the taxman.

But then I don't live in some dreamworld where people go 'But I can choose when I take my lunchbreaks, that must mean Im clear of IR35'
    Well I'm very happy for you. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• 117MilesToGo
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

You could have done HMRC a favour and signed that off with your real name.
    It wouldn't matter if I did. I'm caught by IR35 and don't pretend otherwise, not even to the taxman.

But then I don't live in some dreamworld where people go 'But I can choose when I take my lunchbreaks, that must mean Im clear of IR35'

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by 117MilesToGo View Post
    Scrag - I realise that we like to pretend we are own bosses especially to make Mr Taxman like us, but lets face it, most of us in contracts turn up between 9 and 5 and get told what to do by our boss, almost as though they were an employer.

Still its good to keep the illusion of self control, makes us feel different to permies.

You could have done HMRC a favour and signed that off with your real name.

Leave a comment:

• 117MilesToGo
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    FTFY
    Scrag - I realise that we like to pretend we are own bosses especially to make Mr Taxman like us, but lets face it, most of us in contracts turn up between 9 and 5 and get told what to do by our boss, almost as though they were an employer.

Still its good to keep the illusion of self control, makes us feel different to permies.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by 117milestogo View Post
    agents are the glue between the contractors and the clients

ftfy

ftc?
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 27 August 2010, 13:47.

Leave a comment:

• 117MilesToGo
    replied
    Originally posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
    Got a call from an agent yesterday about a job in London. It was a FTC. The salary wasn't great but I was told it was a "Head of" and if I took it that it could escaalte my cv and status. Told them I wasn't interested and wished to remain as an interim.

Got a call back this morning saying that they had spoken to the client yesterday and the client thought it was highly unlikely they would get the calibre they need on FTC's so may well be that in a few weeks they will come out interim in which case and they would still still be keen to represent me.

They could have told me that yesterday. Pond life

Agents are the glue between the contractors and the employers

Leave a comment:

• The Central Scrutinizer
    started a topic Pond life

Pond life

Got a call from an agent yesterday about a job in London. It was a FTC. The salary wasn't great but I was told it was a "Head of" and if I took it that it could escaalte my cv and status. Told them I wasn't interested and wished to remain as an interim.

Got a call back this morning saying that they had spoken to the client yesterday and the client thought it was highly unlikely they would get the calibre they need on FTC's so may well be that in a few weeks they will come out interim in which case and they would still still be keen to represent me.

They could have told me that yesterday. Pond life

Working...
X