• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is the maximum load that I could put through a double socket?"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    No thanks. Tried that and didn't like it
    You can't "try" electrocution. Electrocuted=dead. You can try getting a shock.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    FWIW I know what I am talking about.

A ring main (that is a circuit that is looped) using 2.5mm twin an earth can carry up to 32 amps (depending on the route of the cable, distance of the run of cable, etc etc)

Anything that comes from a ring main, be it an extension lead or 4 gang, or chain of 4 gangs is considered to be a radial circuit. .

HTH
    Everyone knows that ring-mains are for door bells.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    If the extension cable doesn't get warm it should be ok. Don't do what I did and run a fan heater via a coiled extension cable

IANAE
    Coiled extensions usually come with 2 max ratings, 1 for use when coiled, another for uncoiled.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    FWIW I know what I am talking about.

A ring main (that is a circuit that is looped) using 2.5mm twin an earth can carry up to 32 amps (depending on the route of the cable, distance of the run of cable, etc etc)

Anything that comes from a ring main, be it an extension lead or 4 gang, or chain of 4 gangs is considered to be a radial circuit. A radial circuit in normal twin an earth "can" carry up to 16 amps (again depending on the route of the cable, especially the cable's ability to disperse heat - which is why Zippy's cable when coiled caused problems. A radial circuit which is created from flexible cable should always carry a maximum of 13 amps.

Each 4 gang is fused at 13 amps, so multiple 4 gangs technically will never cause overload...
    However mutliple 4 gangs creakily chained together via multiple "cube adaptors" may cause arcing which is obviously not desirable.

If your home office is in need of a lot of amps then consider an electrician putting in a consumer unit for your office only. Then you can load up with impunity, also safe in the knowledge that your new installation will be protected by R.C.D. which is a good thing. Failing that, you are too big an enterprise for a home installation and should get a private office - something which I think most on here are not likely to be.

HTH
    Last edited by suityou01; 26 August 2010, 00:31.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Something to do with putting a load through a socket without blowing your girlfriend's ring...........I think.
    I just assumed that Minestrone had too many heaters and too many lights for his cannabis factory on one socket.

But each to their own I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Something to do with putting a load through a socket without blowing your girlfriend's ring...........I think.

phew! thank God

sometimes I fear that I am missing the point.

entirely

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    sorry, what were we talking about again ?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

sorry, what were all that lot talking about again ?

ftfy

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    my first girlfriend liked to double socket. We could get a heavy load through the ring main, lots of juice, but it was only a matter of time before a fuse blew

sorry, what were we talking about again ?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    If the extension cable doesn't get warm it should be ok. Don't do what I did and run a fan heater via a coiled extension cable

IANAE
    If you run something heavy duty via a coiled extension cable, then the coil ends up acting like the filament in a light bulb and heating up, as you found. It is generally a good rule of thumb to completely unravel any extension cables before switch-on in order that the wire can at least stay a bit cooler.

HTH but IANAE either.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post

Didn't you say you had an engineering degree?
    Aye, proper engineering, heavy weights, greasy overalls and hot mugs of milky tea. Never understood the electrical stuff, one term in first year was enough.

Just looked at the appliances of one of the 6.

20w, 12w, 15W, 30W, 30W & 240v* 170ma

Bit upset my 3 grand behemoth of a drum kit is only 12w.

The other 6 are 1 pc, 2 monitors of 90w each and 2 lamps.

Looks like I was worring too much about nothing, thanks for the help.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    What is the maximum load that I could put through a socket?

About two teaspoonsful, three if you eat a lot of oysters.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lightship
    I've managed three screwdrivers, an awl, and two knitting needles simultaneously.
    You are Thora Hird and I claim my five pounds

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Now go electrocute yourself
    No thanks. Tried that and didn't like it

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Coiled extension cables usually can't take 13 amps because

a) The flex is usually (not always) thinner, so isn't rated at 13 amps
    b) The coiling creates impedence / inductance (can't remember which), so reduces it's flow capability.

If you're using "plugboards" with a thick-ish cable, you should be able to get the full 13amps out of a single socket, even if you string a dozen of them together.

Out of a double socket, you should be able to get at least 20 amps (10 out of each) which is what ring mains are normally rated for.

Now go electrocute yourself

Leave a comment:

Working...
X