• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dirty Spekulant contracting in IB sector - no spekulanting? :("

Collapse

• aussielong
    replied
    Trading restrictions

People do ignore them at IBs, they trade though partners, cousins, etc.

I have seen people that work on the trading floor, nipping out to internet cafes down the road using internet trading accounts.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    How on Earth can one trade futures if the minimum holding is 30 days? The frackers expire FFS!
    You just need a very large shed.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Do you understand the purpose of the rules that were put in place?
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    To prevent insider trading?
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Also to prevent conflicts of interest.
    Also to prevent the fall out of blowing your account up. Large losses can make people do desperate things.

One set of rules I came across include the condition "Absolutely no trading in derivatives".

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Also to prevent conflicts of interest.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    All IBs enforce that rule. It applies to your spouse as well (and I'm guessing your immediate family).

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Not sure if I want to ask you to explain that one or just not bother..

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    You are trying to violate their spirit.
    Not sure if I want to ask you to explain that one or just not bother..

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No - I want to stay within the rules and still trade
    You are trying to violate their spirit.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

Not that I'm advising you to do this, but I'd just keep positions small and my gob shut.
    This might be the solution

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I might have to get my spekulant broker and activities approved and vetted?

I can't close any positions before holding them for at least 30 days?

I have no interest in trading fundamentals and won't be trading during the day - but this could be bad for my filthy spculanting activities....

Anyone been in the same situation and can give a lowdown that's a bit clearer than the policy doc I've just been sent?
    Lordy, did I ever suffer from this. It was when all this was coming in. I had untold grief talking to compliance about it at on IB I was at. They had no understanding about the instruments they were making rules about.

How on Earth can one trade futures if the minimum holding is 30 days? The frackers expire FFS!

Anyway, the next role I had 'crossed over' and after that I've been proprietary so there is no compliance whatsoever.

Not that I'm advising you to do this, but I'd just keep positions small and my gob shut.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    So you got presumably well paying contract job in a bank during recession and you want to piss it away by breaking simple rules?
    No - I want to stay within the rules and still trade

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I wonder if I do it all through a spread betting account it will all be classed as gambling and won't make a difference...
    So you got presumably well paying contract job in a bank during recession and you want to piss it away by breaking simple rules?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    So the gist of it is that when the price hits a certain level it will either go up or go down?

Complicated stuff. You can see why they need to explain it using squirrels.
    Yeah - basically you put money on it going one way and it either does - or it doesn't!

I amazes me the amount people get paid when they figure out how this stuff all works - I mean anyone can do it can't they?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Think of a PPZ level as a "live electrical wire" and Price as a "squirrel". When Price (the squirrel) hits the PPZ level (the live electrical wire) that Price is going to jump one way or the other.
    So the gist of it is that when the price hits a certain level it will either go up or go down?

Complicated stuff. You can see why they need to explain it using squirrels.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X