• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: A Near miss?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A Near miss?"

Collapse

• ~Craig~
    replied
    I have just created a new thread in Light Relief for Delia & Gordon

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    It's 1000ft vertical separation OR 3nm horizontal separation for IFR aircraft under controlled airspace - not both.

It's also 2 different sized a/c with the depth of field telephoto lens camera effect as often used in films (such as Honey I Shrunk The Kids) to make objects appear relatively bigger/smaller than they are.

More details here:-
    http://www.nats.co.uk/library/rvsm.html

Another telephoto lens trick:
    http://www.planes.cz/foto1.asp?mode=...CZHSW&jazyk=cz
    While Delia and Gordon Ramsey are waiting for the oven to warm up ....

The Red Arrows do the same thing to make it look to the audience as if they only just missed each other.

... and over to you two back in the kitchen.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    You don't need a pasta machine really, that just makes it easier to do some of the more tricky stuff.
    Speak for yourself! All day spent spanking the monkey on bigboobies.com sapped all my strength, so my first hand-rolled raviola pasta were so thick they looked like bricks of lard!

Pasta machine enables continual multi-tasking while churning out normal looking pasta.

Yes the ravioli attachment looks complicated but I'm intrigued at putting two sheets of pasta either side and pouring the filling in the middle, turning a handle and have little ravioli pieces.

Press the ravioli tin isn't too bad to be honest - you still get the serated edges but they seem to disappear on boiling the pasta.

Craig - definately the 00 pasta flour - you can buy it from most places. Worth trying to get the genuine, organic Italian stuff if you can from an Italian store.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    thanks!

Just been looking at pasta machines on ebay, should i be looking for a particular brand or are they all pretty much the same?

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Craig~
    what pasta recipe do you use? I should really have a go sometime.
    Flour, eggs and a pinch of salt. 250g of flour and 2 eggs - make a well in the flour, pop in the eggs, add a pinch of salt and stir it all in gradually. Leave it to settle for half an hour then roll it out and cut it how you like. It's by far the best if you use the Italian '00' flour. It's very easy. You don't need a pasta machine really, that just makes it easier to do some of the more tricky stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    what pasta recipe do you use? I should really have a go sometime.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I saw the ravioli maker but wasn't sure what to make of it. It seems to be adding a lot of complexity to a task that isn't difficult in the first place. Besides, I kind of like the homemade look randomly shaped bits of hand pressed ravioli have.

That was a good article about processed fats, one of the main reasons why I bake all my own bread myself now.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    you sould keep this up, quite an interesting thread

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Great website - I shall try that!

Good article on cholesterol as well - another reason to avoid all supermarket processed food.

£10!!?!? Definately a bargain - mine was a present so don't feel to hard done by!

See if you can get all the attachments for it - the automatic ravioli maker looks great.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I followed the rather amusing instructions at this site: Cooking for Engineers

As you can see, it really is a doddle. I used the extracted buttermilk to make sodabread. Scrummy.

The only essential ingredient required is double cream (anything else, herbs, garlic, salt, etc is a matter of personal taste). Organic and unpasteurised is best for flavour but hard to come by and pricey. Supermarket double cream works just fine though (and is often reduced to clear at the end of the day so is ultra-economical).

Oh yes, and I picked up that pasta machine you recommended off eBay - for a tenner!! Bargain!!! Haven't used it yet though as it only arrived yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Ah, hyperD, made my own butter last week successfully. So simple and so delicious and creamy. It seems to freeze successfully as well, so you can make a pile of it and keep it (for those times when the cream is reduced to clear). I also put fresh herbs and garlic in some of it - delicious.
    Hey LB! Sounds great - did you follow your own technique for doing this or did you use a recipe? What where the root ingreds? Sounds like another good avenue to explore.

Made my own pasta a few weeks ago and then ravioli and pizza. There's no stopping it once you get started.

Eventually Mrs hyperD and myself will end up being another Tom and Barbara Good at this rate.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Ah, hyperD, made my own butter last week successfully. So simple and so delicious and creamy. It seems to freeze successfully as well, so you can make a pile of it and keep it (for those times when the cream is reduced to clear). I also put fresh herbs and garlic in some of it - delicious.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Isn't it only the 1000 feet that matters in this case?

It was over West Ham's ground as well, which always distorts perspective.
    It's 1000ft vertical separation OR 3nm horizontal separation for IFR aircraft under controlled airspace - not both.

It's also 2 different sized a/c with the depth of field telephoto lens camera effect as often used in films (such as Honey I Shrunk The Kids) to make objects appear relatively bigger/smaller than they are.

More details here:-
    http://www.nats.co.uk/library/rvsm.html

Another telephoto lens trick:
    http://www.planes.cz/foto1.asp?mode=...CZHSW&jazyk=cz

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    The picture is also tightly cropped which helps distort distance perspective even more.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Craig~
    I'm not disputing there is a gap but just not 3 nautical miles or 1000 feet.
    Isn't it only the 1000 feet that matters in this case?

It was over West Ham's ground as well, which always distorts perspective.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X