• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Film recommendation"

Collapse

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Wow, are you in Zurich?

Yes, I needed to be off-shore again.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I use vuze as a client and VLC as a player.

TV in Zurich is crap!
    Wow, are you in Zurich?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Can you recommend a Windows Torrent client that doesn't contain trojans, etc? Presumably the downloaded content is in a non-dodgy format and ready to view, rather than e.g. an executable. If so, how do the download sites make money?
    I use vuze as a client and VLC as a player.

TV in Zurich is crap!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Can you recommend a Windows Torrent client that doesn't contain trojans, etc? Presumably the downloaded content is in a non-dodgy format and ready to view, rather than e.g. an executable. If so, how do the download sites make money?
    The "download sites" are other users who have downloaded the file. That's why it's called peer to peer. They aren't in it for the money.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Donations, I work with a guy who earns more running a tracker site than he does working.

It is a bit bizarre that people are happy to give money to a pirate for facilitating the download but not pay for the content.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Thanks, also a very reasonable £0.00 on katorrents.com. Going to watch it tonight.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Wouldn't it make more sense for Jonny foreigners to film in English?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Un prophète, available as A Prophet in English for a very reasonable £7.99

Absolutely top notch.
    Thanks, also a very reasonable £0.00 on katorrents.com. Going to watch it tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I wonder which version they have on those boxed sets of TJ Hooker they sell in Saturn?
    That's a series I never got into, so I don't think I'll try that one out.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Maybe we could encourage young people to learn foreign languages at school by promising them the opportunity to enjoy really good films later in life without being distracted by lip-synching. Then again, would they care at that age? I know that when I had the choice between doing Latin or German O Level, I chose Latin because I reckoned it would be more interesting. I stand by that decision, even if it means I need subtitles to watch certain films in their original form.
    Bad lip synching can make a film unwatchable for me. I like subtitles in both directions:
    1. English subtitles - no synching problems and you get the right tone of voice, mood etc
    2. German or French subtitles for something with English sound (I get both at my local cinema). I can pick up useful phrases from the subtitles while enjoying the film in English. This is a great learning tool.

On the Latin front, that was compulsory for me, alongside French. I later did German and Russian, and the Latin grammar really did help with those.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    In the early eighties German dubbing of series like James Herriot and The Professionals was dire. The actors who did the dubbing were obviously reading from scripts rather than getting into the role and much was lost. Robert Hardy blasting forth with "No, no my dear boy no" came out as "Nein", and Bodie had a squeaky voice

Thankfully it's much better now.
    I wonder which version they have on those boxed sets of TJ Hooker they sell in Saturn?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Yes, subtitles are far better, as long as they aren't too intrusive or the opposite, because the original speech conveys emotions and timing that even the best dubbing can't match unless it's some dire D movie anyway.

Also, German to English dubbing obviously has the problem that it tends to take twice as long to say anything in German, apart from pithy phrases like "raus, raus!", "hande hoch!", etc
    In the early eighties German dubbing of series like James Herriot and The Professionals was dire. The actors who did the dubbing were obviously reading from scripts rather than getting into the role and much was lost. Robert Hardy blasting forth with "No, no my dear boy no" came out as "Nein", and Bodie had a squeaky voice

Thankfully it's much better now.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Un prophète, available as A Prophet in English for a very reasonable £7.99

Absolutely top notch.
    I have a copy on my HDD but haven't got around to watching it yet - have heard it is very good too.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct is meant to be another good French film.

One of my favourite recent French films is Luc Besson's Angel-A.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I believe dubbing is mainly done for the American market. Most Americans can't or won't watch subtitled films.
    I've found that in Germany most English DVDs have an alternate soundtrack in German and sometimes other languagues, as well as having the original language + subtitles. Most foreign films are the same but rarely have English subtitles which means I have to go back to the UK to buy them. I could learn German properly I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Whenever I watch Lola Rennt I switch to the original German soundtrack (I have an English pressing of the DVD), and turn on the English subtitles as I don't know German. It's the only way to do it. The voices would be all wrong otherwise. It was made in German: why would I want it dubbed into another language?
    Yes, subtitles are far better, as long as they aren't too intrusive or the opposite, because the original speech conveys emotions and timing that even the best dubbing can't match unless it's some dire D movie anyway.

Also, German to English dubbing obviously has the problem that it tends to take twice as long to say anything in German, apart from pithy phrases like "raus, raus!", "hande hoch!", etc

... But what about those who chose Technical Drawing over either language?
    I believe dubbing is mainly done for the American market. Most Americans can't or won't watch subtitled films.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X