• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What do you miss most..."

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I miss Sue from accounts.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    ... being jealous of what the contractors earned.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I miss Sue from accounts.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Playing Doom on the corporate network at lunchtimes.

Colleagues nearby, in a different dept, just didn't get it.
    Oh I forgot about Doom at lunchtimes. Yes, that was fun too

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Stag Cozier View Post
    Having holidays and *ahem* sick days without giving a stuff and still getting paid
    But even non-*ahem* sick days , i.e. real sick days, are worse now cos you have to be 10 times worse than when you were a perm AND you are losing £x00.

Lunchtime Doom and Quake was always good back in the day, running some dire 386 with no dedicated GPU (cos they barely existed then) with a window about an 8th of the screen in the middle to handle the graphics.

Fully expensed Christmas parties til 6a.m.

Developer conferences in Vegas followed by 2 weeks personal holiday at a mate's in NY, all flights at least business class, and paid for.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    ...from your permie days?
    Having hair, being able to run and being free to chase women.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I only ever had one permie job.

I miss the roast pork baguettes, and the huge variety of underutilised computers coupled with a job that was basically "sit around until something happens" leaving one plenty of time to tinker.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    £50 perdiems. In Budapest, back when it was hard work spending £50 a day in Budapest.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    16 months gigging until mortgage paid off.
    Don't tempt fate.

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    The 11 minute commute.

The easy life. Contracting is harder work. After a while in a permie job, you know everything and everyone there and it becomes routine and easy.

Compressed hours - can't beat finishing on a Thursday.

I'll never go back to permie life though...

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    The closest I ever got to perm was a week's work experience during school. I miss sorting the post. And enjoying a nice can of diet coke every lunchtime from the communal supply in the fridge, then finding out on the last day that it wasn't a communal supply, & someone was wondering where all their diet cokes had gone.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Playing Doom on the corporate network at lunchtimes.

Colleagues nearby, in a different dept, just didn't get it.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Never been a permie

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    The expense account I had when we had a stockbroker as a customer.

In a job before that the banter and an excellent pie and sandwich shop nearby. That place was run like a family firm. Only one person left in three years and that was to have a baby. Needless to say they destroyed that atmosphere by relocating.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Cyprus was nice before they let in charter flights.
    There's still plenty of small places, just stay out of the big package resorts.

One of my favourite holiday experiences is hiring a 4x4 to drive up the Troodos mountains to the ski centre and ambling back down through the forest tracks. Done it a few times now.

You can do a similar drive on the tracks up around the Akamas Peninsula, you get some funny looks from the rabbit hunters as not many people venture that far into the wilderness.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X