• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Best Country For Property Investment"

Collapse

• Olly
    replied
    buy my place
    a nice two bed in Varna, 10 mins slow walk through the sea garden to the coast. Nice neighbourhood.
    You'll have a lot of change from your 140k

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY View Post
    Any country with an Anglo-Saxon based legal system which offers primacy of ownership and weak tenancy laws. This limits your selection to the UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ and the USA. The United States has got to be the best bet.
    Speculation on some of those houses that have been repossessed?

I know a Dutch chap who's investing in Detroit; risky, but if the place does somehow recover, he'll be quids in.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Any country with an Anglo-Saxon based legal system which offers primacy of ownership and weak tenancy laws. This limits your selection to the UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ and the USA. The United States has got to be the best bet.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I've heard French wine growers are buying land in Blighty as in a few years the climate here will be better for vineyards than in France.
    There are one or two very good grapes produced here already.
    This place, run by a Dutchman, has been setting a good example for a few years now. And this lot, in Holland, produce an outstanding riesling.

Leave a comment:

• ads1980
    replied
    Yes, there is no way I would consider a new build or something that has not been constructed yet. I like something with a bit of character anyway. Eventually it would become a retirement home for us I think.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Spain, Portugal, Bulgaria, CZech , Dubai and all these 'hotspots' have melted completely. Fraud is rife and especially in Bulgaria apartment blocks are standing half completed with the brits who invested in them losing everything they had.

China was very good but it's property apparently is crashing too.
    I would never buy off plan in any country. There are crooks in all countries but the difficulty with Spain is that you can’t rust the lawyers, local government or national government. Even if you legally own the land and property in Spain, there is no guarantee that a developer will come along and legally bulldoze your home because it happens to be in the way of a of larger development.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I've heard French wine growers are buying land in Blighty as in a few years the climate here will be better for vineyards than in France.
    Did you watch Dragons Den last week too?

As to the original question, what about Brazil?

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    What about less known places like Albania, Romania (yes, I've seen the Borat movie, but still ...) ?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Spain, Portugal, Bulgaria, CZech , Dubai and all these 'hotspots' have melted completely. Fraud is rife and especially in Bulgaria apartment blocks are standing half completed with the brits who invested in them losing everything they had.

China was very good but it's property apparently is crashing too.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Are Spanish orange growers buying French vineyards then?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I've heard there are some nice vineyards in Bulgaria.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I've heard there are some nice vineyards in Bulgaria.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Yes, this might signal an opportunity to purchase but in a foreign country the chance of getting turned over is too risky.
    If you really want to, I would consider a mature development in an enduringly popular location which may still have fallen in price.
    I wouldn't touch anything off-plan, new development, infrastructure to follow, blah blah with a bargepole regardless of price.
    For ref - look at the people looking at holes in the ground in Dubai where there 'astonishingly good value' apartment blocks (due to be finished in 08) are located.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Don't even think about Spain, the market has collapsed after massive over supply due to availability of lending leaving thousands of empty properties.
    Unloess you want a holiday home to enjoy for its own sake, for cash, of course

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Don't even think about Spain, the market has collapsed after massive over supply due to availability of lending leaving thousands of empty properties.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X