• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oh Come on!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Come on!"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    I agree, MF. The UK became a de facto police state the date the government gave its agents (the police) the power to detain a citizen without having to provide that citizen with any reason or explanation or, worse, without having to have any reason beyond the whim of the arresting officer.
    Ironic isn't it? You may have to move to Germany if you want more freedom

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    That's incorrect.
    You read me wrong, Im saying the only people that should go on this list are those who have been convicted.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I agree, MF. The UK became a de facto police state the date the government gave its agents (the police) the power to detain a citizen without having to provide that citizen with any reason or explanation or, worse, without having to have any reason beyond the whim of the arresting officer.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    The DNA database is an infringement of civil liberties within a police state.

New Labour has completely underminded democracy in this country!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Craig~
    surely you can refuse to give dna and fingerprint samples?
    Nope, the police can take those samples by force. Oh, and now they don't need to have reason to suspect a crime has been committed to arrest you either. You can be arrested as long as a police officer considers it "necessary".

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    no wonder people lose faith in the police when they act like that is it?
    Ah, but zeh ver only following ze orders...

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    no wonder people lose faith in the police when they act like that is it?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

Nope, you can't - but then again, what've you got to hide...

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    Yep. Cautioned as well.

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty.
    My brother was followed out of a pub car park late at night whilst on his way home.

He was stopped by a police range-rover for "speeding". The police officer asked if my brother had been drinking. He said he'd had a couple of pints. The policeman breathylised my brother using the old "blow in the bag" test as the electronic system he carried was "broken". The test proved positive. My brother was taken to the police station and tested using calibrated equipment. He passed this test. The arresting officer was told of the situation and was overheard saying to the desk-sergeant, "Surely you can do him for something, have you checked him against the PNC?".

During the booking in process, my brother was finger printed and DNA tested.

He's not been proved guilty of any offence but his DNA is now on the database - is this acceptable?

I'll answer the last question for you, no it fecking isn't!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Yep. Cautioned as well.

What ever happened to innocent until guilty.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Also, the only people who go on this list are those who have a court conviction against them!
    That's incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
    A problem with this is that a 16 year old boy who "has" a 15 year old girlfriend will go on the register if caught. They're not in the same league as Gary Glitter or Jonathan King.
    Also, the only people who go on this list are those who have a court conviction against them!

If the police can take the time to caution someone then they should take the bloody time to bring a case against them! Some of those cautions handed out to those who have been in the news recently are absolute jokes!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
    A problem with this is that a 16 year old boy who "has" a 15 year old girlfriend will go on the register if caught. They're not in the same league as Gary Glitter or Jonathan King.

The "Coronation Street" masses are about to discover this...
    (Not that I watch Coronation Street, <ahem>Mrs Churchill does...)

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Well, I for one would welcome people who have points on their license to have some visual notification attached prominently on their cars so I have a warning they drive like twats without having to discover such.

Threaded Old Boy, they do!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X