• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "'elf and safety innit"

Collapse

• lightng
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Surely the Daily Mail line would be:
    Rugby causes cancer
    No, that's football.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by lightng View Post
    Anyway, that's the end of my Daily Mail rant. I feel better now.
    Surely the Daily Mail line would be:
    Rugby causes cancer

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Arghh!

This really gets my goat. Why not ban all sports and let kids die of obesity instead. Tiddlywinks - bits of plastic flying round, could take someone's eye out. Why not ban that too? At university, the student union managed to ban amateur boxing - cos it was dangerous - sod everyone who actually wanted to do it.

This cotton wool mentality doesn't just stop at sport. We don't want children to fail so we make exams easier. Now everyone can go to succeed but no-one ever does because there is no risk of failure.

Competing in whatever field, taking risks, winning some, losing some, finding out what your good at, finding out what your bad at, its all part of growing up and finding out who you are. It is sad that we are becoming a nation of unhealthy, less disciplined, less educated, less confident people who can't compete with the rest of the world.

On the subject of school rugby, a few months ago I attended a rugby match with my mate to watch his son who was playing in the under 12s. His son got caught and a small gash appeared above his eye. From the side he shouted "Don't worry son, it'll heal and chicks dig scars!". Cool fatherly advice, I thought.

Anyway, that's the end of my Daily Mail rant. I feel better now.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I bet you don't go into the showers when the Sisters are around anymore.
    Oh! I bet he does!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    7 stitches in a gaping wound!! Bloody dangerous it is!!!!
    I bet you don't go into the showers when the Sisters are around anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    When I went to school we probably did twice as much rugby as football.
    Only time anyone ended up getting injured enough to warrant calling an ambulance was when playing football.
    I played Rugby for many years.... Few black eyes, bruises, nose bleeds and twisted/sprained ankles etc...

I play Badminton now.... Various twisted/sprained ankles, Broken ankle, broken finger and one incident involving 7 stitches in a gaping wound!! Bloody dangerous it is!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Your paranoia has reached epidemic proportions now.
    Nope - I've re-checked the article and it deffo says scots

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Rugby my ass SC.

I'd heard a rumour that you got injured during Chess Club when you got carried away with a castling move on the Queens side.
    Put my back out innit

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    When I went to school we probably did twice as much rugby as football.
    Only time anyone ended up getting injured enough to warrant calling an ambulance was when playing football.
    Rugby my ass SC.

I'd heard a rumour that you got injured during Chess Club when you got carried away with a castling move on the Queens side.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I can see this actually. Ban rugby, increase the number of football academies. After all, footy is called "the beautiful game". Rugby is just dull.
    I can't see anyone biting.

Must do better.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I can see this actually. Ban rugby, increase the number of football academies. After all, footy is called "the beautiful game". Rugby is just dull.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    It was the bed wetting, namby pamby soft-as-tulipe Scots what said this
    Your paranoia has reached epidemic proportions now. Which is good. For it injects a humour into your posts that is otherwise distinctly lacking.

FYI, the only "solid oak" thing about you is your head.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Oh please, what a pile of tulipe... English rugby is in a bad enough state as it is
    It was the bed wetting, namby pamby soft-as-tulipe Scots what said this, not the stout hearted, solid oak English types

A mixed bag of results recently but not as bad as it could have been - England may be on the way up but we'll have to wait for the autumn to see if the trend has been set

Tours
    Tree View
    Wednesday, 23 June 2010
    New Zealand Maori 35 - 28 ENGLAND
    Saturday, 19 June 2010
    AUSTRALIA 20 - 21 ENGLAND
    Tuesday, 15 June 2010
    Australian Barbarians 9 - 15 ENGLAND
    Saturday, 12 June 2010
    AUSTRALIA 27 - 17 ENGLAND
    Tuesday, 08 June 2010
    Australian Barbarians 28 - 28 ENGLAND
    FYI we had one serious injury during my time at school - a broken neck from a collapsed scrum that left the 15 year old in a wheelchair - he eventually topped himself aged 20 by pushing his wheelchair into a garden pond and drowning... heartbreaking but an isolated incident

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    While they are at it, they should ban hockey sticks from hockey - how much damage can a hockey stick cause? .
    Fom personal experience 4 stitches to a open wound around the eyebrow - but no reason to ban hockey either

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Can't see Cameron and his chums agreeing to that - It would mean also banning the Eton wall game
    Good game, good game, didn't he do well?

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Hilarious - that reads like something out of Private Eye.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X