• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Budget expectations"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Good smiley! Should definitely become part of the CUK stock!

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
    So far Liam has been on the money.
    Aye.

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
    Will Huton has been mostly wrong with his pseudo left wing economics ...

Leave a comment:

• Green Mango
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Here's one commentator who believes the coming cuts will harm the country severely

There is no logic to the brutish cuts that George Osborne is proposing | Will Huton | Comment is free | The Observer
    Yeah, well read Liam Halligan in the Telegraph.

Do the Tories get the parlous financial situation the country is in with it's £903 billion of public debt, he asks.

If we don't make serious cuts we will lose our triple A rating our interest bill will go up and we will be in a world of pain.

So far Liam has been on the money.

Will Huton has been mostly wrong with his pseudo left wing economics ...

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Here's one commentator who believes the coming cuts will harm the country severely

There is no logic to the brutish cuts that George Osborne is proposing | Will Huton | Comment is free | The Observer

The former Labour government had already committed to a greater and faster reduction in the budget deficit than any British government in modern times. The coalition government wants to do more; to nearly eliminate a structural budget deficit of 8% of national output – some £116bn – in five years. Moreover, it wants spending cuts to take 80% of the load. No country has ever volunteered such austerity. It is as tough a package of retrenchment as the IMF imposed on Greece, a country on the brink of bankruptcy. It is twice as tough as the famously harsh measures Canada took between 1994 and 1997. It is three times tougher than Sweden's measures between 1993 and 1995. In British terms, it is immeasurably tougher than what we did after the IMF crisis in 1976 or after the ERM crisis in 1992.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    A year after it starts it will be rare to find any companies that qualify or have managed to benefit from the scheme.
    This brings back memories of regional development grants in the '80s. Light manufacturing only and with some you were expected to take on someone who been unemployed for more than 6 months.

Another memory from that era - a fellow contractor with his own software house (4-5 employees) decided to give a YOPS lad or lass a chance. The first thing that happened was a visit from some Elf'n'Safety type assessing his premises to see if they were suitable for an employee. At least two billable days lost and lots of red tape later, he was beginning to wish he hadn't bothered.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    frack it! wrong thread.

Leave a comment:

• Green Mango
    replied
    Sounds like something right out of nuLieBore's playbook - announce something to capture the headlines, but in practise does not exist.

A year after it starts it will be rare to find any companies that qualify or have managed to benefit from the scheme.
    I like the idea of promoting jobs in the North.

We need it up here ...

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Sounds like something right out of nuLieBore's playbook - announce something to capture the headlines, but in practise does not exist.

Leave a comment:

• Green Mango
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Depending on how it is implemented this could be a good move. Right from the start they mentioned moving the emphasis off the South East, which after 30 years of centralisation there could be a Good Thing.

The devil will be in the detail of course.
    Yep. the devil will be in the detail. It probably won't be structured for 1 man companies to
    take advantage of....

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    B*gger mine's in Hampshire!

Should have kept it as me home address.
    Hampshire is in the South West no?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Depending on how it is implemented this could be a good move. Right from the start they mentioned moving the emphasis off the South East, which after 30 years of centralisation there could be a Good Thing.

The devil will be in the detail of course.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Well it doesn't seem too bizarre to me, rather an attempt to improve employment outside of the economic heartland. The problem is, how do you define "the South East". Places like Dorset, Hampshire or Northamptonshire may benefit I suppose. The real hard-hit wastelands like Middlesbrough or Liverpool? Still, be interesting to see how this attempt to "buck the market" pans out.
    Yep, the South-East will start at Middlesborough.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    My registered office is in Manchester. Huzzah!
    B*gger mine's in Hampshire!

Should have kept it as me home address.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    My registered office is in Manchester. Huzzah!

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. It seems a bizarre idea to me.
    Well it doesn't seem too bizarre to me, rather an attempt to improve employment outside of the economic heartland. The problem is, how do you define "the South East". Places like Dorset, Hampshire or Northamptonshire may benefit I suppose. The real hard-hit wastelands like Middlesbrough or Liverpool? Still, be interesting to see how this attempt to "buck the market" pans out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X