• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is horse drink driving illegal?"

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    I once took a taxi in Brisl and the driver was telling me that his father was a drayman in the city for Smiles and in those days it was horse and cart drays

he said the horses knew the route inside out because they did it everyday and that the draymen would have a pint at each pub they delivered to and by the end of the day would be quite worse for wear but the horses simply pulled the cart to the next pub keeping up with the traffic and following the usual route

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    If I remember correctly, when Harvey Smith lost his driving licence he tried riding to and from his local boozer. They stopped him from doing it via a "drunk in charge of a horse" law.

Yet Another Story That You Can't Find On Google. (YASTYCFOG).

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Just seen a really surreal thing.

A gypsy horse with cart is outside an off-licence.

The driver comes out with a pack of tinnies, cracks one open, and drives off while drinking lager.

Seeing the gypsy horses here is a regular occurrence, but does this count as drink driving??
    Why is it drink driving ? Did he feed the alcohol to his horse too ? You can be stone drunk in a horse carriage but still not cause accidents since the horse is capable of going on its own.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied

The driver comes out with a pack of tinnies, cracks one open, and drives off while drinking lager
    Well you know what they say. You can take a horse to drink, but you can't make it water.

(a bit slow with that one I know!)

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post

so it's actually "wanton and furious"
    Actually, it was causing death by wanton and furious cycling - which is probably fair enough to go to prison for.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    here's one:

admitted: Facing jail, a ‘wanton’ cyclist in pavement death smash - Times Online
    sentenced: BBC NEWS | England | Dorset | Cyclist jailed for pavement death

so it's actually "wanton and furious"

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    As well as being drunk in charge of a horse, there's also a charge of "furious riding" that originally applied to horses but has lately been used to good effect against agressive pavement cyclists.
    Have you got some linkies?

CYCLING AND THE LAW :: Bike For All >> The essential resource for everyone who cycles... or is thinking about it.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    As well as being drunk in charge of a horse, there's also a charge of "furious riding" that originally applied to horses but has lately been used to good effect against agressive pavement cyclists.
    I might have done that, if swearing at boy racers who want to kill me counts.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

The driver comes out with a pack of tinnies, cracks one open, and drives off while drinking lager.

Seeing the gypsy horses here is a regular occurrence, but does this count as drink driving??
    Being drunk in charge of a horse is an offence, but I think the definition of drunk is subjective. You won't lose your driving licence for it.

Before anyone asks - no, I haven't

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Drunk in charge of a horse? | Metro.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    started a topic Is horse drink driving illegal?

Is horse drink driving illegal?

Working...
X