• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Training - who gives a fuuhhhh..."

Collapse

• s2budd
    replied
    Training - Good idea or not

Attending a training course depends on what it is about.
    All very well if you are a programmer - then all you need is to buy a book, and buy or obtain the software and then off you go.

The problem is what if your chosen subject is something else that is not possible to actually do - hands -on at home / in the office such as large Unix Enterprise servers or manaagement skills. Then training comes into it's own.

Also, if you have no experience in a new subject then flashing a few training certificates can get you the gig.

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    started a topic Training - who gives a fuuhhhh...

Training - who gives a fuuhhhh...

Reading another thread, which touched on the training topic which raises its head every now and again, I thought about training. It is often touted as a positive aspect of permiedom, but I'm thinking, "Training? Who gives f***?"

In 5/6 years (3 jobs) as a permie I went on two courses. One was a waste of time the other was pretty decent. In 3 years as a contractor (4 contracts) I have not been on a course.

Now, I would say that my skills are mostly self taught. I moved from Access to SQL Server, I taught myself. I moved from COM/VB to .Net/C#, I taught myself. I learned Win API, I taught myself, I learned web programming, I taught myself. I learned InstallShield, I taught mysef. I learned...you get the gist.

What more do you need than a computer or two and the internet?

Working...
X