• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much do you spend on Internet and phone?"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by markinbrussels View Post
    5 EUR pm for my mobile

50 EUR pm for Internet + IPTV
    So you've no landline telephone?

How many of you, other than those already mentioned, have ditched their landline phones?

Leave a comment:

• markinbrussels
    replied
    5 EUR pm for my mobile

50 EUR pm for Internet + IPTV

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Ta for the link. Not going there at the moment, but it's useful to know.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Rumours keep popping up that I could get ADSL without a telephone service but a) the telco makes it difficult and b) who would I contact for line problems, and would I get any response?
    Depends where you are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_DSL
    Last edited by doodab; 11 June 2010, 10:19. Reason: forgot linky

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    So you got rid of your landline totally and now use a mobile solution for both internet and phone calls and all that for under £30 for 6 months?
    Wrong conclusion. I'm on cable for the broadband, which is how I managed to drop the landline. Come to think of it the cable company also offer telephone (my existing "cable modem" has a telephone outlet socket). For completeness I'll add that I also get digital telly via cable for less than a tenner a month (in old money), which is worth it because it gives me a good chunk of the UK channels.

I sometimes consider ditching the landline, but am not confident about mobile phone tariffs and reception quality and speed. And also that, possibly and without firm evidence that I recall, some third parties want a fixed land line phone number as a contact number else they consider you dodgy?
    Rumours keep popping up that I could get ADSL without a telephone service but a) the telco makes it difficult and b) who would I contact for line problems, and would I get any response?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Usenet comes for free with my broadband package, but it's throttled to 64 KB. I've never used usenet for binaries so that doesn't bother me.

The best Usenet service I've used was News.Individual.NET which used to be free but now costs a princely 10 Euro per year. Excellent service and good at squashing spam. They do stipulate that you post from a valid e-mail address (no munging allowed), but I didn't find that a problem.

My broadband was less than GBP 20 per month, although due to the pound dropping it's theoretically more expensive now. In local currency it hasn't gone up in 5 years, but has gone from 1024 to 6000 without asking. I could get a faster/cheaper-per-unit-of-speed combination, but my original contract says "unlimited" where a new contract says "unlimited, but...".

I sacked my landline and went PAYG a few years ago - less than £30 so far this year. My broadband contract includes about 40 SMS per month and gives a decent web interface so I can type 'em on a proper keyboard.

On top of that I pay just over a tenner a month for a shared web hosting solution. I probably spent more than that on leccy bills when I was running a beefy server from home.
    So you got rid of your landline totally and now use a mobile solution for both internet and phone calls and all that for under £30 for 6 months?

I sometimes consider ditching the landline, but am not confident about mobile phone tariffs and reception quality and speed. And also that, possibly and without firm evidence that I recall, some third parties want a fixed land line phone number as a contact number else they consider you dodgy?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    If using usenet then do count your subscription in with your broadband to make it fair
    Usenet comes for free with my broadband package, but it's throttled to 64 KB. I've never used usenet for binaries so that doesn't bother me.

The best Usenet service I've used was News.Individual.NET which used to be free but now costs a princely 10 Euro per year. Excellent service and good at squashing spam. They do stipulate that you post from a valid e-mail address (no munging allowed), but I didn't find that a problem.

I have Android (free upgrade because I complained) @ £35 per month and have broadband @ £11.50 per month.

So £550 per year but I do use the phone a lot.
    My broadband was less than GBP 20 per month, although due to the pound dropping it's theoretically more expensive now. In local currency it hasn't gone up in 5 years, but has gone from 1024 to 6000 without asking. I could get a faster/cheaper-per-unit-of-speed combination, but my original contract says "unlimited" where a new contract says "unlimited, but...".

I sacked my landline and went PAYG a few years ago - less than £30 so far this year. My broadband contract includes about 40 SMS per month and gives a decent web interface so I can type 'em on a proper keyboard.

On top of that I pay just over a tenner a month for a shared web hosting solution. I probably spent more than that on leccy bills when I was running a beefy server from home.
    Last edited by Sysman; 10 June 2010, 17:43.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    £20pm for mobile & FREE broadband (for a year but turned to 18months as O2 billed me for one month mid contract).

Not a heavy phone user and rarely text probably because I insist on using the Queens English!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    errrr I'm not even in the same league as you frugel lot..

£50 p/m for Vodafone de, lots of minutes and texts inc data plan, gf chef and I keep in touch a lot
    average £200 p/m extra call costs for calling non-german phones, mainly mobiles at peak times, I dont have a landline while working away
    £40 p/m for 2nd Vodafone data plan only sim as I keep maxing out my 'acceptable limit' on my unlimited data plan from the first card
    £35 p/m for Vodafone uk, for 18 mnths and hardly used, a relic from when I was uk based, last month I sorted all expenses out and this is now gone
    £30 p/m for T-Mob Hotspot tariff for using at airports and on trains, the high speed ICE doesn't hold a mob signal stable and keeps disconnecting, the ICE trains have t-mob hotspot and multiple receivers for a stable signal
    £20 p/month for uk internet, so I can watch uk tv and stream it via Slingbox to Germany
    £15 p/month for BT landline

so that's £600 + £2400 + £480 + £780 + £240 + £180 = £4680 p/a for the last year up until month

this has now been slightly consolidated to:

£50 p/m for Vodafone de, lots of minutes inc data plan, gf chef and I still keep in touch a lot
    average £20 p/m extra call costs for calling non-german phones, by adding 'Home Zone' to the vodafone plan allowing me to set a postcode as "home" and when im within 1lm of that area I can call non-german phones for far far cheaper inc Mobiles
    2nd SIM for data has been replaced by ensuring WiFi is included in my lodgings cost i.e hotel or apartment rental
    vodafone uk sim has now gone as im never there
    £30 p/m for T-Mob Hotspot tariff for using at airports and on trains is still used
    £30 p/month for uk internet with zen as I've upgraded my parents 'tinternet to Zen business office (better upstream figures than there old BT package = better streaming for Slingbox) and I've paid the difference, moved all routers etc. to them, closed manchester apartment down.

so now it's a total of £600 + £240 + £720 = £1560, umm well it's still the highest but far more acceptable compared to before

I hardly ever text though and hate making/taking calls when sat in the pub/on train or some other place where it'd annoy others.
    Last edited by chef; 10 June 2010, 13:02.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Hmm.

£15 a month on VF contract phone
    The same again for the gf
    An extra £10-20 a month taking advantage of "vodafone passport" to call and text the UK from Germany.

£45 a month or so for BT line + ADSL from Zen Internet

€10 for a PAYG data pack on my German phone. The "bonus credit" from this covers all my calls and texts
    €25 for a PAYG data pack for my laptop

So thats about £45 + £45 + €35 = £120 a month, or £1440 a year
    Last edited by doodab; 10 June 2010, 11:14. Reason: corrected a typo

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    O2 iphone at £35 pm
    Virgin TV, Phone and Broadband £57 pm

I think the TV is 23pm but there is some discount too for taking all 3 services.

So say £40 per month for phone and 20Mb Unlimited BB

Grand Total £1100ish with TV per year
    or £900 ish without TV.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    About £1200 a year.

iphone - c £40 a month
    Mrs ordinary phone - c £20
    Home BB & line rental - c £40

We don't have Sky or Virgin TV so have unlimited BB for downloads etc.

I use my iphone data connection every day for something other than email - be it train times, tube disruption or similar. The time it saves me is worth the cost.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

If using usenet then do count your subscription in with your broadband to make it fair
    Oh yes, that's true. I use the Vuse bittorrent client, which is free, but also usenet via a Giganews platinum subscription which costs about £20 per month.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    £1380/year then. The record so far.
    Fu<k!!!! I don't think the Teenage Drewsterette's achieve that!!!!

Oh Fu<k2..... Maybe I'd better check.......
    Oh Fu<k3..... Maybe I'd better not!!!......

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    You're still using usenet or whatever to download these from?

I have Android (free upgrade because I complained) @ £35 per month and have broadband @ £11.50 per month.

So £550 per year but I do use the phone a lot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X