• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor Holiday - How Much"

Collapse

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    At least you'll have plenty of money in the bank when you get hit by the bus.
    Just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii, so it is getting spent too. :-)

Tulip!!!! That was 14 days at ......., Doh! that holiday cost me......

Leave a comment:

• ads1980
    replied
    Not enough really is my answer!! Well, especially working here!! It is local though so just grin and bare it!! (Oh, and also take the 5hit loads + VAT!!)

All in all though, I took 1 week off in June and will be taking another week off in August. Thats it for me.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Worked 270 days one year, BH's are rubbish anyway and was seeing someone from work who lived very close. 250+ was common too for a while.
    These days I am averaging 176 days over the last 4 years with a high of 221 and low of 117. This is due to benchtime rather than personal choice so I rarely enjoy the time-off like I should, it tends to be in winter and when I am working I feel pressured to work every single day !! Working hard to change that view...

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    2007-2008 245 days billed
    2008-2009 241 days billed
    2009-2010 241 days billed

8 Bank Hols + 52 weekends = 112 days

365-112 = 253

So holiday/sick that I have taken over the last 3 years has been 8, 12 and 12
    respectively inc 3 sick days over the 3 years.

Quite an interesting analysis personally, thought there would be more days off than that.
    At least you'll have plenty of money in the bank when you get hit by the bus.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    250 days invoiced last year

1 week summer hols + 1 week ski

used to do 1.5 - 2 months per year when I was a permie
    2007-2008 245 days billed
    2008-2009 241 days billed
    2009-2010 241 days billed

8 Bank Hols + 52 weekends = 112 days

365-112 = 253

So holiday/sick that I have taken over the last 3 years has been 8, 12 and 12
    respectively inc 3 sick days over the 3 years.

Quite an interesting analysis personally, thought there would be more days off than that.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by curtis View Post
    I always prefer to take time off in contracts if I can as like someone else I can relax more, if I'm not in contract I do feel like I should be looking for work and its on my mind.
    Opposite to me.

I can never take my mind off the maths of doing this ("this holiday has cost me 5 days * £XXX before I've even paid for it").

These days I have a target turnover to hit working 10 out of 12 months per year.

Already hit my target for 2010.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    250 days invoiced last year

1 week summer hols + 1 week ski

used to do 1.5 - 2 months per year when I was a permie

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    1 week Skiing holiday in the winter (march - italy)

1 or 2 weeks Seaside holiday in the summer (august - mediterranean / adriatic)

plus trips to blighty visiting the folks taking a friday and monday off

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I normally take two weeks holiday sometime between Feb-June and then another week September time. This year I'm skipping my September week and having a large 50th birthday bash for the wife instead. Next June we're going to the US for three weeks to make up for it. I survive the rest of the time by taking long weekends when I can.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    So, who takes what holiday - is the former generous, the latter tight, or somewhere in between ?
    I budget on annually taking 6 weeks (30 working days) a year, plus bank holidays. Also includes the VERY rare sick day, taken average 1 per year.

If I take all my holiday, so be it, if I don't then quids in.

Leave a comment:

• curtis
    replied
    I normally always take 2 weeks May/June then 2 weeks in September and then 2 weeks at Christmas, if get a gig quite close to christmas and been off work for a while then I will work up till 23rd Dec but will always take 24th and the days inbetween christmas/new year.

Aswell as this I normaly take a few long weekends through the year also. I started contracting so I could be more flexible and take more time off if needed. I always prefer to take time off in contracts if I can as like someone else I can relax more, if I'm not in contract I do feel like I should be looking for work and its on my mind.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I take 1-2 days a year in addition to Bank Hols.

It's a killer, but at the moment I can't afford not too, i.e. holiday cost += lost billing; // expensive hols!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Finish gig - take 1-2 months hol, on to next gig. I do mean hols BTW we had 6 weeks in Australia/NZ in between last 2 gigs.

Been working away 10 years but have 2 year old now so it's getting harder.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I get BH's like the rest of the mob.

Anything extra and I have to put in a holiday request form and get approval. Not always possible when the dept is 50% understaffed and we are all doubleshifting. There's no cover.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I only used to take time off between gigs but that changed when I got one with repeated extensions. Four weeks a year plus a few long weekends became the norm. I try to avoid taking time off during school holidays - the office becomes decidedly quieter and spring and autumn can be great times to do some walking.

I doubt I'll have any time off this year, as things are looking busy, but at least I shouldn't be working away from home.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X