• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where do old IT Contractors go."

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by ancient
    I now have a wonderful environment (somewhere in the Pacific, with panoramic views of the ocean) and I am doing work I really enjoy.

The money is not brilliant, though £65k is enough, and I am no longer a slave to just earning large amounts of money and sacrificing everything else.
    That sounds OK to me. Can I do that too or do you have some secret here?

Leave a comment:

• sappatz
    replied
    gigolo

did you find a gigolo in Italy or are you contracting for the organisation ?

Leave a comment:

• ancient
    replied
    Originally posted by Technically Blonde
    In my case, Italy. Chucked it all in. Given up the work thing. Sold the house in the UK and bought two in Italy ......

No more IT, no more IR35, no more early starts, no more Heathrow on a Monday morning / Friday evening.

I'm just so happy .....

Technically Blonde / aka Debbie Lane
    Let's Go to Italy
    Like you, I had decided I had had enough of the contracting game.

I love Italy (history, food, culture), had the dream, but realised I still needed to work but in a more conducive environment - the "place in the sun" was not the right answer for me.

Perhaps a question of balance e.g. work and life.

I think I have found it, I now have a wonderful environment (somewhere in the Pacific, with panoramic views of the ocean) and I am doing work I really enjoy.

The money is not brilliant, though £65k is enough, and I am no longer a slave to just earning large amounts of money and sacrificing everything else.

Better being with the family together looking over the ocean, rather than a B&B in Leeds and pounding the streets with nothing to do.

Marble slab and all that, I am sure I have made the right decision - interesting work with a reasonable salary, relaxation, palm trees and nice people.

Though still hope I make it to Italy, perhaps later.

Each to their own, decide what you want and go for it.

The odyssey of life continues.
    Last edited by ancient; 25 January 2006, 22:35.

Leave a comment:

• Technically Blonde
    replied
    Originally posted by Phoenix
    Well done Debbie!
    (Debbie Lane?) Were you a page 3 girl in the 80's?

Well if all you others on here are all doing so well with your no Mortgage Houses in the UK and your Holiday Time-Share pads in several different countries..........Why don't you all Feck off out of the UK and let some others
    take over feeding from the gravy train........No wonder you all vote Tory and have pictures of Maggie on your bedroom wall!!
    P.s Didn't Tony look cool playing the guitar last night
    Thanks Phoenix. Don't think I ever made page 3, although the 80's would have been my era!

Leave a comment:

• Technically Blonde
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Congratulations Debbie !

I had the pleasure of working and living in Rome for a year, yet Italy is so much better when one doesnt have to do mundane things like work.

I dont know if you have ever visited Sperlonga, its halfway between Rome and Naples, it really was one of my favourite places in Italy.

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/sperlonga.html

Ciao For Now
    Hi Alf

Haven't been to Sperlonga yet, but we will be driving back to UK at some point to sell(dump) the UK car, maybe we will stop off there then.

Loving it here, especially not working!

Leave a comment:

• Technically Blonde
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Hey Debbie, good to hear from you again. Well done.

I myself have a plan b and a villa in Cyprus.

If all goes to plan I will have two villas soon, one to live in and one to rent, and a few quid besides.

Blairs Britain. Stick it up your ARSE.
    Thanks, Dim Prawn. And good luck with your Cyprus villas!

Leave a comment:

• Technically Blonde
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    So hang on a mo....

Have you done this no going back thing you know, where you put all your savings in a hotel and then work 15 hours a day to keep it going.

Nope, spent less than 50% of the UK house sale proceeds. Not working, other than keeping an eye on the rental property (5km down the road)

Leave a comment:

• Technically Blonde
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Otranto. I used to go there for summer holidays when I was a kid. Allegedly now there are more albanians than italians, as what I have heard.
    Think your info is out of date. Most of the Albanians have headed north for richer pickings

TB
    www.andiamoinitalia.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Phoenix
    No but I liked the gratuitous naked blonde in the strip poker scene. Nice beaver!

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Well done Debbie!
    (Debbie Lane?) Were you a page 3 girl in the 80's?

Well if all you others on here are all doing so well with your no Mortgage Houses in the UK and your Holiday Time-Share pads in several different countries..........Why don't you all Feck off out of the UK and let some others
    take over feeding from the gravy train........No wonder you all vote Tory and have pictures of Maggie on your bedroom wall!!

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    In my case, Italy. Chucked it all in. Given up the work thing. Sold the house in the UK and bought two in Italy ......

No more IT, no more IR35, no more early starts, no more Heathrow on a Monday morning / Friday evening.

I'm just so happy .....

Let's Go to Italy

Congratulations Debbie !

I had the pleasure of working and living in Rome for a year, yet Italy is so much better when one doesnt have to do mundane things like work.

I dont know if you have ever visited Sperlonga, its halfway between Rome and Naples, it really was one of my favourite places in Italy.

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/sperlonga.html

Ciao For Now

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Fortune Green
    How are things in Sri Lanka?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied

I'm just so happy .....

Let's Go to Italy
    Otranto. I used to go there for summer holidays when I was a kid. Allegedly now there are more albanians than italians, as what I have heard.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Nope.

I paid for my villa CASH. Remember that?

How quaint.
    You earned it and then you bought it? Well done.

Yes I am familiar with the principle, in the abstract.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Nope.

I paid for my villa CASH. Remember that?

How quaint.

PS And I still own my house with no mortgage in the UK.

Which was nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X