• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Home Security Systems"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Sit of the front porch waiting. But be better than this guy!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Should only require 4 wires, and as any old phone phreaker will tell you: power in parallel, contacts in series.

It is a trivial task to replace with a modern PID.

I am guessing your old one is using LDRs, seriously, that's probably good enough. Try it when it's getting a bit darker and the room lights are off: just breath and it'll trigger.
    It is only dark round here about 4 hours a night.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Should only require 4 wires, and as any old phone phreaker will tell you: power in parallel, contacts in series.

I am guessing your old one is using LDRs, seriously, that's probably good enough. Try it when it's getting a bit darker and the room lights are off: just breath and it'll trigger.
    Breathe

And BTW you can get PIRs that trigger on a number of activations now (set with a DIP switch) so that a single event (fly too close etc) won't cause a false alarm, but a burglar moving around certainly will.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Get a dog.
    Nice doggie !

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You don't one that's oversensitive either.
    We've got one of those that notifies the police if it goes off. The cleaner set it off the other day and plod came round and warned us that any more false alarms and we'd have to be disconnected.
    How do you plan to reduce the sensitivity on yours to sub-cleaner levels then?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You don't one that's oversensitive either.
    We've got one of those that notifies the police if it goes off. The cleaner set it off the other day and plod came round and warned us that any more false alarms and we'd have to be disconnected.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Have just done this - Google " wired alarm panel " also a good selection on eBay and amazon - dead easy to do.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Get a dog.
    or move somewhere nice...

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I decided to have a look over my house security system at the weekend and came to the conclusion that it is crap.

First problem is that the sensors are pretty useless, some of them hardly work at all until you go up and wave at them. I tried cleaning them but that never worked. The system must be about 20 years old, I take it the sensors are better these days and it should be an easy job to replace them on their own, can't be more than 4 or 5 wires to hook up?

Also the keypad is on the basic side, I would like to have one with a display so that I can check when people are coming in and out the place. Give the servants their own numbers.

Anyone know of a decent one and if it is an easy job to change these as well?

Get a dog.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    started a topic Home Security Systems

Home Security Systems

I decided to have a look over my house security system at the weekend and came to the conclusion that it is crap.

First problem is that the sensors are pretty useless, some of them hardly work at all until you go up and wave at them. I tried cleaning them but that never worked. The system must be about 20 years old, I take it the sensors are better these days and it should be an easy job to replace them on their own, can't be more than 4 or 5 wires to hook up?

Also the keypad is on the basic side, I would like to have one with a display so that I can check when people are coming in and out the place. Give the servants their own numbers.

Anyone know of a decent one and if it is an easy job to change these as well?

Working...
X