• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does Britain coming last in the Eurovision Song Contest mean that we are the unliked"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    OK point taken, but that was then and this is now, and I think no act intent on success in the UK would entertain being on Eurovision because it seems the association with Eurovision would not be worth than the exposure it gives.

From what I can see the UK think EV is naff but some EU countries still take it seriously

But you got me going now .... Aaaaaah gah do do do push pineapple shake the tree, aga do do do ...
    They don't make 'em like they used to!

Thank <insert Deity of choice> for that!

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    EV

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Matt Monro, Cliff Richard, Lulu, Sandie Shaw, The Shadows, Brotherhood of Man, The New Seekers, Mary Hopkin, Bucks Fizz, Black Lace and Michael Ball didn't do too badly out of it...

But hey, let's not let the truth get in the way of a sweeping generalisation, eh?
    OK point taken, but that was then and this is now, and I think no act intent on success in the UK would entertain being on Eurovision because it seems the association with Eurovision would not be worth than the exposure it gives.

From what I can see the UK think EV is naff but some EU countries still take it seriously

But you got me going now .... Aaaaaah gah do do do push pineapple shake the tree, aga do do do ...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    But would you give them a trophy for doing well against their competition?
    No, I think they can afford their own.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I've read Fast Food Nation - I wont eat in McDonalds

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well yes; McDonalds do well against their competition too, but I wouldn’t give them a trophy for their contribution to gastronomy.
    But would you give them a trophy for doing well against their competition?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Correction, they all did well against their competition.
    Well yes; McDonalds do well against their competition too, but I wouldn’t give them a trophy for their contribution to gastronomy.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    No, but they're all boring.
    Correction, they all did well against their competition.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I liked Lordi and i voted for this years German winner, but the British entry was utter rubbish.
    Nowadays the contest is seen as a bit naff in the UK which is why no one established will do it, it was not always the case as Churchie pointed out.

I still really enjoy it though

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Aren't most of them lot dead (or almost)?
    No, but they're all boring.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Britain should withdraw from the European Broadcasting Union in disgust at being voted last.

Europe can keep its Belgium umpa-lumpa music, Teutonic death rock, and Turkish power ballads.
    I thought last-years winner with the violin was brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Britain should withdraw from the European Broadcasting Union in disgust at being voted last.

Europe can keep its Belgium umpa-lumpa music, Teutonic death rock, and Turkish power ballads.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    This means what?

They all did well in Eurovision. It's the quality of the tulipe we produce these days that's gone downhill.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Matt Monro, Cliff Richard, Lulu, Sandie Shaw, The Shadows, Brotherhood of Man, The New Seekers, Mary Hopkin, Bucks Fizz, Black Lace and Michael Ball didn't do too badly out of it...

But hey, let's not let the truth get in the way of a sweeping generalisation, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    I have heard EV being described as the "Kiss of Death" for any UK based performing artist.

So nobody is interested so that is why UK always puts forward an appalling act.

It seems that is EU and especially Russia,CIS a EV win can launch a career so it makes sense that the calibre of contestent they field is higher.

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Eurovision

I have heard EV being described as the "Kiss of Death" for any UK based performing artist.

So nobody is interested so that is why UK always puts forward an appalling act.

It seems that is EU and especially Russia,CIS a EV win can launch a career so it makes sense that the calibre of contestent they field is higher.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X